Balsamic Vinegar Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mish

Washing Up
Hope I posted this in the appropriate catagory. What is a reasonably-priced, good quality/brand of Balsamic Vinegar? Has anyone tried this reduction method (link below) with good results? Also, what does commercial grade mean? Thanks in advance.

This is (one) recipe I would like to try for a party.

Anytime Balsamic Shrimp, Shrimp Recipes, Appetizer Recipe

Mish,
I have reduced balsamic vinegar many times, even topping fresh ice cream with it. One thing to remember is that anything extremely cheap is usually poor quality. I have not used the exact recipe for reducing the vinegar, but a few very similiar. I actually bought a small bottle of 20 year old balsamic vinegar for $40.00 yesterday and would just point out. If you are going to dilute the vinegar or change its flavor profile you don't need to spend $40.00 for 8 oz. Get a good 5-8 year old for $5.00 on up.
Chef Mark

Mark Webster said:
Mish,
I have reduced balsamic vinegar many times, even topping fresh ice cream with it. One thing to remember is that anything extremely cheap is usually poor quality. I have not used the exact recipe for reducing the vinegar, but a few very similiar. I actually bought a small bottle of 20 year old balsamic vinegar for $40.00 yesterday and would just point out. If you are going to dilute the vinegar or change its flavor profile you don't need to spend $40.00 for 8 oz. Get a good 5-8 year old for $5.00 on up.
Chef Mark

Thank you, Mark. I have bought the cheap stuff & it just doesn't 'do it' for me. (Try it on watermelon w some feta & basil.) What brand do you recommend, & your reduction method/recipe (pretty please :) ) TIA

Also, question about the Fleur de sol (salt), particular brand you like -- do you use it just as a finishing for dishes. Again, thank you. Happy Holidays.

Since the recipe even gives a recipe for a faux balsamic, almost any of the supermarket varieties would do, I would think. Modena label. Looks like a great recipe.
Fleur de sel is definitely a last minute thing, at its price!

Bump.

Mark, thanks for the brand name. If it's $40 -- that's not in my price range. Any moderately priced GOOD quality balsamics & brand name/mod priced Fleur de Sol? Thanks in advance.

P.S. Re-thinking -- don't know that I want to mess with a reduction. Rather have the real thing ready to go.

Last edited:
Have you tried trader joes? They sell a small bottle of balsamic with a red label on it for like $4. I got some and have been pretty happy with it so far.

Back
Top Bottom