BBQ Sauce w/o sugar (brown sugar substitute?)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Robin12265

Assistant Cook
I love Bullseye bbq sauce and found this copy cat recipe online, but we are trying to cut sugar out completly.
I can deal with the catsup and tomato sauce (make my own) but what about the brown sugar? What would be a decent substitution? (I do have some white sugar still {prefer not to use it} as well as Splenda, but no brown sugar in the house at all)

1/2 cup minced onions
1 (8 oz.) can tomato sauce
1 cup water
1 1/4 cup ketchup
2 teaspoons brown sugar
2 teaspoons prepared yellow mustard
1 teaspoon olive oil
1 teaspoon worcestershire sauce
1 dash tabasco sauce
TIA!
Robin

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Robin, I am not sure, but I think that you could try Splenda and molasses as a sub. I will check into it for you.

I would use a bit of apple, pineapple, or grape juice concentrate. You could also try some pureed prunes, apricots, or dates for a natural sweetness. Honey is a great second choice.

adapted from a SPLENDA® recipe
1 cup SPLENDA® No Calorie Sweetener, Granular
1/4 cup Sugar-Free Maple Syrup, preferably made with SPLENDA®
Mix ingredients well.

Replaces 1 cup of regular brown sugar to be used when baking.

Or maybe this?
300.jpg

Last edited:
That's the one I was thinking of, but couldn't remember the name.

Rainee said:
Or maybe this?
300.jpg

I use Splenda and mollases regularly, for baked beans, to flavor oat meal, anywhere I'd use brown sugar. And yes I do make my own barbecue sauce with it. I'm diabetic and had to learn to make a substitute.

The DiabetiSweet is a great product. It has good body, tastes great, and cooks very well. You can even make candies with it. But it does have a problem. It is made from one of the sugar-alcohols. And the prolem with sugar alcohols is that if you over indulge, well let's just say that I hope your toilet seat is comfortable, as you will be spending more time there than you may want.

Yep, you guessed it. Sugar alcohols have a strong laxative effect. If used in moderation, they are great. Just Keep that in mind. :mrgreen:

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Goodweed - thanks for more details on the DiabetiSweet. Doing low carb, I know all about the pitfalls of sugar alcohols :blink: . But I'd rather have those than sachrine! (sp?) I'll have to watch for it in my local stores.

Thanks again everyone! I'll have to check in more often here! You guys are GREAT!!!!

You know... Im really not even used to sweet bbq sauce. My granmas which was the first and best I had used LOTS of lime in it instead of sugar giving it a really nice aroma and flavor.

Lugaru,

I would LOVE to have your granmas recipe for bbq sauce. Do you have it and would you mind posting? Mucho Gracia! Warm regards, Lori

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom