Bernaise Sauce problems

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ginger1207

Assistant Cook
In preparing a Bernaise Sauce - all went well until it separted at the end. I thought this might be due to too much heat. I had it in a double boiler - was watching the water to make sure it stayed on a very slow simmer. Thoughts?

If it is the heat, I think you are done for.

But it might not be.

I would try starting again, sort of. Would add the lemon, or vinegar to the bottom of the pan, the cleaned pan you started out with. And then add the broken mixture very slowly, under very mild heat. Whisking like crazy all the time.

It can work. But there is no gaurantee to that procedure. Good luck.

When you use a double boiler you should be careful to see that the boiling water isn't touching the bottom of the insert pan. The object is to heat the surrounding area with heat/steam, not boiling water touching the pan.

Last edited:
ginger 1207 here is a solution for your problem.. Clean out your double boiler and add very little water to the bottom pan then break a egg and seperate add the egg yolk to the top pan with a little taragon vinegar (1tsp) and whip till incorperated then in a very small stream add your broken sauce to the egg /vin mix it should pick up and start to homoginise very carefull add a spoon full at a time and wisk when incorperater add one more spoonfull keep doing this and if it gets to thick add just a few drops of vinegar and whisk keep this up till all is back and incorperated check your seasonings and serve
PS keep warm in a thermous till ready to serve and you should be just fine.. this works for Hollandaise to

Back
Top Bottom