Blue cheese alfredo sauce?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sherifffruitfly

Senior Cook
Hi all,

I'm not a very experienced cook or anything, but I do enjoy it greatly, and love making food that my friends and I like to eat!

This idea occurred to me last night, as a friend and I were getting a few ingredients for a drunken breakfast. Any ideas on how to make it work best would be much appreciated. I'd like to try it out tonight or tomorrow.

Take a standard alfredo sauce recipe. Take out about 1/2 the parm cheese, and replace it with blue cheese. Make the sauce as it would normally be made. At the end, crumble some bacon into the sauce

Serve with fettuccini with blackened chicken - and either broccoli or asparagus.

mmmmm........ sounds awesome in my head - would it be good in reality?

sherifffruitfly said:
Hi all,

I'm not a very experienced cook or anything, but I do enjoy it greatly, and love making food that my friends and I like to eat!

This idea occurred to me last night, as a friend and I were getting a few ingredients for a drunken breakfast. Any ideas on how to make it work best would be much appreciated. I'd like to try it out tonight or tomorrow.

Take a standard alfredo sauce recipe. Take out about 1/2 the parm cheese, and replace it with blue cheese. Make the sauce as it would normally be made. At the end, crumble some bacon into the sauce

Serve with fettuccini with blackened chicken - and either broccoli or asparagus.

mmmmm........ sounds awesome in my head - would it be good in reality?

That's basically similar to a Gorgonzola cream sauce I've made in the past. To simplify it, do this. This should make enough sauce for one 1# bag of pasta.

Saute bacon until fat is rendered out and crispy. Add 1 diced onion and saute until tender, about 3-4 minutes. Add 4 cloves of minced garlic, saute for about 1 minute. Add 1/2 cup of white wine + 1/2 cup of chicken stock to deglaze pan. Reduce liquid until about 1/4 cup remains. Add 2 cups of heavy cream, reduce by 1/2. Add 1/2 cup of crumbled blue cheese (omitt the parmesan), 2 tsp. of fresh Thyme, and stir until the cheese is melted. Taste sauce and add more cheese if necessary (at this point, you can add the parmesan if you want). Season sauce to taste with salt and pepper, then toss with the pasta, chicken, and blanched broccoli or asparagus.

OK...this sounds terrific. I will have to try this ironchef. It sounds pretty easy. How long does that reduction usually take? Do I simmer on low or a bit higher for reducing?

(a) thanks for the feedback - I'll give it a shot tonite!

(b) ****** - I *never* have original ideas! hrmph! lol

thanks all!

cdj

You can reduce the wine/stock on high, but reduce the cream on medium after bringing it to a boil or else it will burn. also, when you're reducing the cream, stir it every so often to prevent sticking/burning on the bottom of the pan.

Also for the bacon, use about 4 slices of thick cut bacon, 6 slices if it is thinly cut. Just cut it into thin strips width-wise

Thanks ironchef. I will give that a shot. I am supposed to have my stove back tonight and I would love to give this a go. I have everything on hand.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom