Can you correct a sauce that is too hot?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Indio

Assistant Cook
Hi all.
I'm a new user with a passion for food and furniture Spicey food in particular. Unfortunately that sometimes gets me in trouble. does anyone have ideas on how to cancel out ( not all, just some ) to much red pepper when used in a sauce? The wife and bambini need human consumable food.:angel:

You don't cancel it once it is in. Just don't add as much and then add more just to your portion.

Thanks, that's what I normally do. I not supposed to cook when sick. Oh well.

If it's a white sauce, add more milk or cream...if it's a red sauce, add more tomatoe sauce. Next time you make it, as mentioned above, add very little, you can always add more.

Oh, I didn't understand that this was right now!! I think diluting it with more of something is about all that can be done. Good luck.

Remember that the seeds of chilli are the really hot parts, so keep them out.

If your chilli dish is too hot, squeeze half a lemon into it, then add the half lemon, stir for a few minutes and remove it.

Any dairy product (milk, yoghurt, cheese, even ice cream) will help to reduce the burning sensation after eating chillies. If you've forgotten to wear gloves when chopping chillies, washing your hands in dairy products will help, too.

Be kind to your bambini, and remember that the taste-buds of children are far more sensitive than those of adults. It's often the explanation as to why kids don't like eating their greens - they detect the bitterness far more easily than adults. It also explains why taste preferences change as we get older, and why elderly people often complain that their food has lost all its flavour.

N U

Thank you all for you quick responses. The dish is a creole made with chicken as opposed to shrimp. My wife and daughter have been sick for almost three weeks now. I have finally come down with it.

We handle colds, flu's and the like, with a regiment of homeopathics, spice and crabbing.

The problem came about because I can no longer smell or taste.

My son's the easy one, while his first foods were curries and such he's somehow developed a taste for "hotdogs" and the like. Wife likes it med., and my 1yr old daughter is daddy's girl , she just loves food, spicey, savory, whatever, so I have to really watch her to keep her from getting in over her head.

Anywho thanks once again.

Cheers,
:sick:
B'

daisy said:
Remember that the seeds of chilli are the really hot parts, so keep them out.

If your chilli dish is too hot, squeeze half a lemon into it, then add the half lemon, stir for a few minutes and remove it.

Any dairy product (milk, yoghurt, cheese, even ice cream) will help to reduce the burning sensation after eating chillies. If you've forgotten to wear gloves when chopping chillies, washing your hands in dairy products will help, too.

Daisy - the hottest part of a chili is, in fact, the vein , not the seeds. This was a revelation to me when I began to put together a cookery course on Hot Peppers! The vein is called the placenta, and the part closest to the top, where the stalk is, is the hottest of all. The flesh is next in line regarding "heat", followed by the seeds.
That isn't to say the seeds aren't hot - they will be, because they will have some capsaicin ( the ingredient which "burns") attached to them.
When trying a chili to see how hot it is, you should slice a little piece from the middle of the fruit.
you are dead right about milk products - they're best for killing off the burn!!

Back
Top Bottom