Can you thicken tomato sauce?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pacanis

Chef Extraordinaire
So I have my spaghetti sauce going, the way I always do (which I'm sure is a big part of the problem), I put a little EVOO in a saute pan, add my burger, sausage, start them browning, then onions, mushrooms, garlic, then dump some jar sauce in there (I know, I know :rolleyes:). What starts off as thick sauce is thinned by the still cooking meats, but I always thought you added flavor to the sauce by cooking the meat in it........

Is there a way to thicken it back up so it sticks to my pasta? It usually does OK the next day after sitting in the fridge (typically mixed in with the pasta in a container), but I'd like to improve it tonight, if that's possible..... or if there's a "trick" I need to hear for this.

I do pretty much what you did, pacanis. Our sauce is always nice and thick. Might be because I cook without a lid for most of the cooking time. Lot of the liquid gets evaporated and folks in the house are made crazy by the aroma.

I do, generally, drain the fat off the meat before adding the remaining ingredients.

Thanks. Here's what it looks like.
I guess I don't want to say it's runny or you can see grease floating (the shine is from the kitchen light), but it just never wants to stick. I was wondering if I was missing something, like what would happen if I added some masa harina to it......

Attachments

• sauce.jpg
    sauce.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 376
That would thicken it, but also change the flavor. Not necessarily in a bad way though.

Instead of masa, finely grind up some instant mashed potatoes in a coffee grinder or blender and add a couple of tablespoons of that. I have a coffee grinder that I use exclusively for grinding herbs/spices and potato flakes. It will thicken the sauce a bit and leave next to no other flavor.

:) Try browning meats well and pour off the extra grease then simmer with sauce, a homemade sauce would include some tomato paste so you might want to try it. Of course the reducing should make it thicker. Also are you cooking pasta in just water and salt? If you add oil to the water it wont let the sauce cling to the pasta if you have a decent pasta like Barillas or De Cecco it makes a huge difference.

Here is a twist for ya...Brown the meat, and sausage with no addtional oil....When it is nice and brown drain through a colander...then wash it under running water...add to your sauce...Less fat..Less calories...Less indigestion...Simmer with the lid off!!

Enjoy!

Do you mix the meat and the pasta together and let it cook together for a few minutes? It makes a big difference in the finished dish. I usually save a little pasta water, in case a little more liquid is needed after the pasta starts soaking up the sauce.

I have tomato paste, JP. I can add it at anytime. Would I need to add more spices to counteract? Of course, it's been on a while now, but for next time.

That is different, UB. That's kinda what I was thinking, to at least spoon out some of the "juice", but I thought it added flavor so have always left it in.
The "less indigestion" has me very interested.

I haven't tried that, Constance. Do you mean mix them both (sauce and pasta) together and let them simmer a while?

I'd like to keep them separate if possible, until serving anyway. This way if I make too much of one or the other I have it as leftover to do something different with, like serve the sauce over scambled eggs or make a sausage sandwich, or have the spaghetti with butter and pepper. mmm:)

I have tomato paste, JP. I can add it at anytime. Would I need to add more spices to counteract? Of course, it's been on a while now, but for next time.

That is different, UB. That's kinda what I was thinking, to at least spoon out some of the "juice", but I thought it added flavor so have always left it in.
The "less indigestion" has me very interested.
:) I think draining off the majority of fat will make a big difference in your thickness as for rinsing meat it's great method if you are worried about fat but you will lose a fair amount of flavor as well, this method works great for pizza topping. If you just strain the fat or add a bit of paste you shouldn't need to add more seasoning. When I make Spaghetti Sauce from a jar or can I always cook off meat and separately saute onions,celery and maybe some mushrooms and bell pepper in some olive oil I always add more garlic, basil etc but have never had to thicken sauce because of the draining fat off meat. At least thats what I believe

Cook the meat, remove the fat, simmer covered for 15-20 minutes to combine flavors, remove the lid and simmer until thickened to your liking.

Simmering covered first will help combine flavors as well as remove any acidity from the tomatoes. You really need to remove any fat/grease from the meat, both for consistency and your health/digestion.

When the sauce has been simmering with the lid on, it may look quite liquidy. Don't let this fool you. A few minutes uncovered and it will thicken up almost paste like if you don't pay attention. If it get's too thick, add some water from the can with the tomato residue. Simmer again until you get the consistency you're after.

I simmer mine for at least 2 hours.

You really don't need to do that. 30-45 minutes max will result in a great sauce. If the sauce is still too acidic, look for a better brand of tomato product.

Do you mix the meat and the pasta together and let it cook together for a few minutes? It makes a big difference in the finished dish. I usually save a little pasta water, in case a little more liquid is needed after the pasta starts soaking up the sauce.

Best advice so far. ^^^

Last edited:
Due to health constraints DW drains the meat first. When I make it I don't drain any of the fat (everyone likes mine better, LOL), but I have to simmer it much longer so it will thicken up (a good 45minutes usually).
Yours looks and sounds good, Fred, just needs that simmer time to thicken up.

After letting it simmer away I got my usual outcome. This is what I am trying to get rid of, the watery liquid. It's not that the rest of the sauce isn't thick, but I get this watery stuff, which you can see collects in the bottom of the pan. If it was fat or grease, wouldn't it be on top? (although you can see some grease bubbles)
It looks the same way on the plate. Good at first, then as the food on the plate disappears I am left with three things, pasta that the sauce has slid off of, the meat sauce and then this watery stuff. I know it is coming from the sauce and not the well drained pasta.
Maybe I need to strain my sauce? :wacko:

Attachments

• sauce2.jpg
    sauce2.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 270
This works for me: If it sits in th epot unstirred, I may have some liquid on top, but after a stir, it is nice and thick. This is my first attempt at documenting some of what I cook. DW has decreed tht I need to do this. If I am vague or silly, I am sorry. I make good food, usually by feel and taste.

Spagetti Sauce

Pot #1 - Frying pan.
Take the casing off 8 nice plump sweet italian sausages. This will be about 1 1/2 tl 1 3/4 #. Put this in the frying pan, start cooking. Chop it up with a spatula or whatever works for you. Once you have tried out a bit of fat add 1/2 to 3/4 # if 90% or better ground beef. What the objective here is to brown the meat and chop it up as amall as posssible. When the meat is browned, dump it in a strainer and let the water and grease drain.

Pot #2 - Sauce pot
Peel and crush 4 to 6 cloves of garlic. More or less to your taste. Chop the garlic and dump it in the pot. Chop an onion finely and pitch ti in as well. Add olive oil to just cover the bottom. Turn on the heat mediumish. Cook the onions and garlic till trabsclucent. Watch the heat, don't brown or burn the mixture.

When you arrive at transclucent, add a can (big) of tomato sauce, a big can of crushed tomatoes and a can of diced tomatoes (mediumish). At this point, I usually take the crushed tomatoe can, fill it with water and add that and 12 oz of tomatoe paste. Look at the concistency. You know how thick or thin you want it. Use tomatoe paste and water to get where you want it.

Now for the fun parts, the spices.

2 Tbsp - Basil
1 1/2 Tbsp - Fennel
1 1/2 Tsp - Marjoram
1 Tbsp - Oregano
1 tsp - Thyme
1 to 1 1/2 Tbsp - Adobo
1 1/2 - Tsp salt
5 to 10 turns of black pepper.
2 to 3 Tbsp of shredded parm.
1 bell pepper finely diced
1 # chopped mushrooms. Not too fine

Dump in the drained meat.

Peal and add a whole potatoe, a nice big one.

Bring up the heat watch closely, Just before it comes to a boil, reduce heat and cover. We are looking for the gentlest of simmers. We want the sauce to simmer, but, not so much heat that the bottom gets burned.

I simmer about 3 hours or so, while simmering, I come by every half hour or so to stir it. I find that after you initially cover it and set the heat that an adjustment or two will be needed.

My wife is the doneness tester, when she tells me that I am no longer allowed near the pot, we are good to go. Remove the potatoe, eat it if you like. I have always put one in and I believe that it takes the sharpness out of the sauce.

A note about spices and other addatives. I remember some sauce with bacon bits in it as well. Other spices cam be used to taste. Rosemary, Thyme and crushed red pepper come to mind. Your spices are your signature, experament. I like a chunkey, meaty sauce, hence the crushed and diced tomatoes. For this reason, as well, I do not chop the pepper and mushrooms too finely. As you taste your way to your favorite sauce, keep notes. My daughter tells me that if you experament with a meal and it is really great, Enjoy it to the fullest, he next one probably will taste different.

I usually serve it over fresh pasta the first night, then I put 3 sauce ladels (for 2 people) in 1 quart ziplocks and freeze it in one meal portions. We find it very convenient for quick tasty meals.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom