Clam Sauce (white) for pasta

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

giggler

Sous Chef
I've never had this, but have been wanting to try it..

But all the recipes I've searched are like oil, garlic, and clams.

I thought this sauce was more like Alfredo, with some clams in it.

or even Clam Chowder over pasta...

am I all wrong here?

Thanks, Eric Austin Tx.

That sounds about right, giggler. Don't forget the white clam sauce though.
Usually the juice that comes with the canned clams I use is good enough for me.

giggler, clams in a cream sauce is good. Chopped, or canned, that is. It'll trump the flavor of the clams a bit, but it's still very tasty. Gives you the option of using a wider variety of pastas, too. The white sauce recipes you've been searching and finding, I think, is mainly for clams in shell. Which is messy to eat in a cream sauce.

Our favorites are actually a cheaters versions of "authentic" white clam sauce (which is always brothy - never creamy), particularly since I don't like white clam sauce with clams in the shell. Too messy.

For one, I buy a can or jar of commercial White Clam Sauce (Progresso's is good). To this I simply add an additional can of chopped clams (with juice), & some chopped fresh Italian flat-leaf parsley & some crushed red pepper flakes. Heat & serve over pasta (we like to serve this over spinach spaghetti or linguini).

For another, since I often have leftover clam or mussel broth in the freezer from steaming clams/mussels (sometimes with some leftover shelled shellfish included), I'll saute some chopped garlic in some extra-virgin olive oil, then add the frozen broth along with a splash of dry white wine (Pinot Grigio is my favorite), then add a couple of cans of chopped clams (again with juice) & chopped Italian flat-leaf parsley, dried or chopped fresh oregano, & crushed red pepper flakes to taste. Again served over spinach pasta. Delicious!!!

What's particularly nice about this is that it makes a terrific emergency dinner since everything can be kept on hand.

But you know - the wonderful thing about food & cooking is that personal taste rules the day. If you prefer a creamy clam sauce, there's certainly nothing stopping you. In fact, you could easily just add drained canned clams to your favorite Alfredo Sauce recipe, along with a little sauteed garlic & chopped parsley, oregano, etc., etc., & end up with something you really enjoy. :)

People tend to think that clams in white sauce is going to be in a cream sauce. Sort of like fetucci alfredo with clams in it, or maybe New England clam chowder over pasta.. I've always thought it should be called clams in green sauce.

Last edited:
If I can find it, I have a very nice white wine-based clam sauce recipe...I know the back of the cookbook in which I wrote it, the question is, where did that cookbook end up when I moved to the farm for the summer? I'll see if I can find it after work today. And, I've got five minutes to log in...better do that. Lots of deadlines this week.

I LOVE this group! Y'all are so helpful.

Now I get it, these are two different dishes..

1. is like clear, brothy, Spaghetti "con ollio y pepperonchini" with clams...

sorry, I speak no Italian, and my Spanish is poor, ha ha

2. the other is pretty darn close, but add a nice splash of heavy cream and perhaps a bit of flour to thicken...

I was thinking that Alfredo Sauce would be far too strong, and overpower the clams.

Note.. I am planning to use canned chopped clams for this.

It is Sooo. Hot here in Tx. this summer, this sounds like a nice, light, quick meal..

and so much fun! Two new recipes I've never tried before! I will google Creamy Clam Sauce now.

Thanks all, Eric Austin Tx

Don't forget there is a third one--creamy with tomatoes. Not my favorite, but I've eaten that as well. I like the one without cream, white wine, lots of fresh parsley.

You might like to try using whole baby clams. They come in a 10 oz. can and have lots of extra clam juice. Very tender. For canned clams, I prefer the minced. Chopped clams are still pretty tough and chewy.

You might like to try using whole baby clams. They come in a 10 oz. can and have lots of extra clam juice. Very tender. For canned clams, I prefer the minced. Chopped clams are still pretty tough and chewy.

I'm just the opposite. I prefer chopped clams. I like my clams to have a little chew to them.
If we buy the wrong kind by mistake, we'll know who to send them to :LOL:

I'm just the opposite. I prefer chopped clams. I like my clams to have a little chew to them.
If we buy the wrong kind by mistake, we'll know who to send them to :LOL:

Great! I love them for flavoring the broth for oyster stew.

I LOVE this group! Y'all are so helpful.

Now I get it, these are two different dishes..

1. is like clear, brothy, Spaghetti "con ollio y pepperonchini" with clams...

sorry, I speak no Italian, and my Spanish is poor, ha ha

2. the other is pretty darn close, but add a nice splash of heavy cream and perhaps a bit of flour to thicken...

I was thinking that Alfredo Sauce would be far too strong, and overpower the clams.

Note.. I am planning to use canned chopped clams for this.

It is Sooo. Hot here in Tx. this summer, this sounds like a nice, light, quick meal..

and so much fun! Two new recipes I've never tried before! I will google Creamy Clam Sauce now.

Thanks all, Eric Austin Tx

Leave out the flour and cook the liquid down to reduce it for "thickness." Much better that way. :) Toss in some fairly finely chopped (flat leaf) parsley at the end for brightness of color and flavor.

Thinking about Linguine with Clam Sauce this past weekend because it was one of Dad's favorite dishes. However, he preferred the red clam sauce. It's just as easy as the white. Use a can of diced tomatoes (without the juice) along with the garlic and etc. Stupid easy and soooo tasty.

Canned clams will be much less chewy if you don't put them in until just before the sauce is finished -- just long enough to warm them through. They're already cooked before you start. and the clam juice will imbue enough flavor into the sauce. Drain it off the clams and add the two separately.

Back
Top Bottom