Commercial BBQ sauce?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ask-A-Butcher

Senior Cook
Believe it or not, up until a couple months ago, I thought that the KC Original was one of the best commercial sauces available. You can buy it in quantity at Sam's/Costco, etc for a cheap price for catering/big party purposes. You can use it right out of the bottle or you can diddle with it by adding some apple juice or bourbon and various spices to make it "your own". KC Original is very versatile .

Sweet Baby Ray's ranks up there next to the KC.

Now the Budweiser brand of BBQ sauces has hit the shelves and my palate :-p Their Beechwood Smoked is one of the best things that ever hit the tip of my tongue. Their regular Bud sauce is next.

As far as mustard based sauces, Maurice's South Carolina sauce is excellent. However, due to recent Political Correctness shenanigan's, I can no longer buy it in my area :(

There are a million and one 'specialty' bbq sauces out there and to be truthful, I can't remember which ones I liked and the ones I didn't :ermm: Ken Stones "Big Chief" and "Happy Pappy" sauces come to mind, though, and if I remember correctly, they had a little bite to them.

To be truthful, I'm not a 'sauce person', I like a little bit for dipping at the table. I vary rarely sauce my ribs while cooking, unless I'm at a comp or practicing for a comp. Same with Pulled Pork, gimme a little dab on the bottom of my sammich with some cole slaw on the top :-p Altho I do have a habit of mixing a little sauce/apple juice with the leftovers when warming up or serving a large crowd.

What's your favorite bbq sauce?

Last edited:
I am a "Sweet Baby Ray's" kinda gal - all the flavors, and sometimes I add a little vinegar to it to squirt it out !

Southern Mich, huh? I'm tentatively scheduled to do a food show in Flint this July, but the details have not been set in stone yet.

Bone%20S%20S.jpg

hobobbq.jpg

I'm not really a fan of those thick and sweet sauces. I prefer a somewhat thin and spicy sauce that I can see chopped onion in it. Those are my two favorites besides my own.

OMG!!! Head Country has made it all the way to NE Georgia?!?!?!?!?!

I thought that sauce was unheard of outside OK. As much as I love Head Country, and the fact that I like to support a local industry, the fact that Head Country costs on average twice as much as some others usually means I don't buy it.

I cut my teeth eating BBQ from the original Smokey Joe's BBQ in Stillwater, OK. The only sauce I've ever tasted that came close was KC Masterpiece, with honey added to it. Maybe that's what the owner(s?) did? Unfortunately, that restaurant changed hands years ago, and I haven't heard good things since.

Sweet Baby Rays is pretty good. I started using that when I lived up in MI for a few years.

Budweiser has a line of sauces coming out? I may have to give this a try.

For a good mustard sauce, I really love Cattlemen's Texas Gold. Now, if only they would market that in grocery stores. The only way I know to get that sauce is to talk to the vendors that come into my kitchen. One of my "pet projects" that I've been wanting to do for a couple years, is to empirically reverse-engineer that sauce for personal use.

Where I work, we make pretty good Peach BBQ sauce, which yields out about 4 gal. Is that enough to be considered "commercial"?? :) It's good, but a wee bit strong on the vinegar side to my tongue.

Pierce's Pitt BBQ Sauce, from Williamsburg, VA: Pierce's PITT Bar-B-Que
They used to have a place in downtown Norfolk where I went frequently for lunch, but it closed. Then I had to hoof it to W'msburg, and then last summer I discovered a place in Va Beach that carries it. :cool:

I picked up a bottle of the Jack Daniel's Steak House BBQ Sauce the other day. I put some on a Rib Steak last night as I was doing the final sear and it was not half bad. I'm not a fan of any sauces on my steak, but I would do this again.

Out here we like Sweet Baby Rays. Growing up it was Cookies BBQ Sauce. Any time I make a trip out to Iowa I pick up a gallon of it, but I haven't been back in years. Hope they still have it.
I like it sweet and thick.

I just saw SBR's sauce yesterday. First I've noticed it in the grocery store. I remember reading about it here and should have picked some up, but now I know where I can get it anyway. I ended up getting some Masterpiece. It was on sale and I haven't had any in a long time. I always buy the cheaper stuff if I'm going to Dr it up a lot, like Open Pit or one of the Kraft flavors.
I've noticed that unless I'm doing wings, sauce doesn't matter as much as it used to.... it's all in the rub ;)

I love Bone suckin sauce ..
stubbs is not to bad ..
sweet baby rays is good ..
couldnt tell you the last time i tasted KC or bullseye ....

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom