Cooking pasta sauce - cover on or off?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

legend_018

Head Chef
wow I'm having a brain cramp. If i'm cooking some pasta sauce and I don't want it to all disappear while it's simmering - do I keep the cover on or off? Why do I feel so dumb "lol"

Evaporation, leave it off, so you don't want to do that.

Leave the lid on. :)

I leave it off for a little while just to thicken it up a bit tho.

I cook mine 6-8 hrs. with the lid off..I use a very slow simmer so the sauce will thicken and coat the pasta well.

kadesma:)

Yea, what Legs said!!!! That's what I meant to say, but rereading what I wrote, it's kinda confusing. :) Thanks Legs :)

Better results with lid off, but a good splatter guard/screen protection should be used -- unless you don't mind wiping up all the splatter stains that inevitably result without it.

Look at it as an experiment. Try it one time with on and one time with off. Afterwards you decide what you like best or do it with on for a length of time and then take it off (that's what I do) . Have fun....that's what cooking is all about :) Cooking at our level of expertise is a crapshoot in so many ways. What works for your goose won't work for someone's gander.......go with what you like and don't be afraid to try new things.

Cover off, this way you can smell it all the way to the living room LOL
Seriously, if you like it dense remove the lid so liquid can evaporate..if you don't mind having sauce that looks like pizza sauce, leave it on.

Back
Top Bottom