Favorite Hot Sauce?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SpiceUmUp

Senior Cook
I have three:
Lottie's Original Babado's Recipe
Matouk's West Indian Flambeau Suace
And
Marie Sharps' Habanero Pepper Sauce

Honerable mention goes to Tabasco, Franks Red Hot with lime (when I want something mild) and Atlanta's Burning Super Hot Sauce

Last edited:
i don't use it but i do know the idiot has frank's hot sauce. before that he had some that was homemade with habaneros from one of his friends.

My #1 favorite is Salsa Huichol, the orange paste made from sea salt, cascabel peppers, vinager and... that's it. The stuff spoils kinda easily (well, after a year or two) but it's so good unless you get a bad one you wont have a chance to let it go bad. It's the best thing EVER on seafood. Look for it on mexgrocer.com

From there I like Crystal and Franks... great sauces for making buffalo tenders or putting in beans. Otherwise I usually dont dig sauces with too much vinagre.

Im also a big fan of buffalo's chipotle sauce... it's REALLY dark and smoky and tarlike so a little bit goes a LONG way in a pot of beans.

As much as I like heat I dont like it in hot sauces... for me hot sauces for flavor, fresh peppers for heat (not that I dont love mild flavorful peppers).

middie said:
i don't use it but i do know the idiot has frank's hot sauce. before that he had some that was homemade with habaneros from one of his friends.

Sounds like your mad at your boyfriend, or maybe there is a hot sauce called "the idiot" :)

oh no amber that's what i call the bf on a day to day basis when i'm being nice. you should see the things i call him when i am mad lol.

middie said:
oh no amber that's what i call the bf on a day to day basis when i'm being nice. you should see the things i call him when i am mad lol.

a woman after my own heart!:LOL:
hey, middie, wanna go for a ride in the golf cart and run our idiots over again?

middie said:

Oh the things we could say about our men:) Maybe pm me lol:LOL:

I use several different brands depending on how hot I want my food and what I am putting the sauce on.
1.gif

Valentina Salsa Picante
Tapatio Salsa Picante
Crystal Habanero Sauce
Tabasco Pepper Sauce
Tabasco Chipotle Pepper Sauce
Crystal Extra Hot Hot Sauce

SierraCook said:
I use several different brands depending on how hot I want my food and what I am putting the sauce on.
1.gif

Valentina Salsa Picante
Tapatio Salsa Picante
Crystal Habanero Sauce
Tabasco Pepper Sauce
Tabasco Chipotle Pepper Sauce
Crystal Extra Hot Hot Sauce

i love the valentina on Mexican food. too bad it's so weak, though. it's cheap as dirt, though.

I'm with Sierra and Sushi on this one.

The hot sauce you choose depends upon what you are using it for.

If I want to zip us a dish such as a soup or stew, spaghetti sauce, chicken salad, turkey stuffing, any recipe in which one might want a bid of heat, will choose carefully.

Many brands of hot sauce have a high salt to capsaicin ratio, and the amount needed to add the appropriate tang may make the dish too salty (I include Frank's in this category, although always make wings with it).

When zipping up a dish like that, will usually reach for a sauce with concentrated hot, such as regular Tabasco or a hotter one (usually go with the cheaper hotter sauces here, when it is going into a spaghetti sauce for example, am looking for the zip and any other flavors an expensive sauce may have are just too dilute to make a difference).

But when adding a splash to an already made dish, or putting it on a cracker, a piece of cheese, refried beans, when I want the flavor of the pepper to come through and not just the heat, will often use Tapatio or Cholula, because we like the taste.

Also use a lot of Crystal and Texas Pete, and like Original Louisiana hot sauce.

And then there are all the others that clutter our cupboard.

The problem with hot sauces is that there are just too many very good ones out there, and so few meals and snacks, particularly when there are only the two of us.

Just found that Bruce foods has put out what they call a mild green chile sauce and think I will order a few bottles.

They had a dynamite product some twenty years ago, it went away, and I hope this is like it.

We are not chile heads. On a hot scale from one to ten, we are probably a five and six. We like a bit of hot, but enjoy using those products that have a have a pleasant taste also.

And so we enjoy adding a bit of hot stuff to many dishes. Find that a bit of hot sauce often adds a tanginess that many people who don't like peppery foods find enjoyable and do not even pick up on.

We have never served a turkey stuffing without a adding a bit.

OK, maybe we are chile heads. But a bottle costs less than a fine bottle of wine and lasts a whole lot longer. LOL.

I'm the biggest hot sauce freak ive ever met, and The best hot sauce i've ever had hands down is Sontava! XXX Habanero hot sauce. It is from Belize central america and has habaneros, carrots, lime juice, salt, vinegar, and nothing else i believe. Its like 5 ingredients only. Best stuff i've ever tasted in my life. They also have X and XX versions for the faint of heart.

Back
Top Bottom