Get Ahead Gravy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gravy Queen

Head Chef
Hey, I'm a Gravy Queen, I love Gravy.

I want to share with you a fab Jamie Oliver recipe for get ahead gravy . I make it in advance at Christmas now, its sits in the freezer nice and well behaved. Good for any occasion where you want to prep ahead. I buy turkey crowns now and I found you don't get as many juices as a whole bird for making gravy. So the juices I do get go into the get ahead gravy on the day.

Oh I would add that as personal preference, I leave the star anise out.

This is the recipe and I will share my step by step photos.
Jamie Oliver - Magazine

Get Ahead gravy step by step photos:

This is great to make if you want a soothing afternoon in the kitchen. You will feel so organised :) Plus, you house will smell nice too.:rolleyes:

Attachments

• 1 Wings Veg.jpg
    1 Wings Veg.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 335
  • 2 Mashing up.jpg
    2 Mashing up.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 291
  • 3 Bubble up.jpg
    3 Bubble up.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 290
  • 4 Sieve.jpg
    4 Sieve.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 296
  • 5 Gravy.jpg
    5 Gravy.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 297
Really? Its just the breast part, just pure lovely breast meat.

Is it the breast meat or the white meat on the wings? I think the difficulty in understanding is most likely the term crown. When I looked at the picture, it looked like large wings--though I may be wrong. Either would be great I'm sure.

It's a great idea Gravy Queen to make gravy in advance. Not just chicken gravy, but, beef and pork too. Thanks!

Ah sorry to confuse. (I seem to do that a lot !).:)

The Get Ahead Gravy is made with chicken wings.

I make it to have at Christmas because then I buy a turkey crown which is different. It has no wings or legs on it, its just the breast part.

And yes I'll be making this again for 2013. Its a nice soothing kitchen job for a cold winter day. :)

Thanks for this GQ! My hubby loves gravy and complains that, since I almost never ever serve gravy with a meal, (except turkey at Xmastime) he feels the plate looks dry.

I will definitely give this a go, with different kinds of meats, and veggies.

btw: what is a 'hob'? (it's in Jamie Oliver's writeup)

Hey, I'm a Gravy Queen, I love Gravy.

I want to share with you a fab Jamie Oliver recipe for get ahead gravy . I make it in advance at Christmas now, its sits in the freezer nice and well behaved. Good for any occasion where you want to prep ahead. I buy turkey crowns now and I found you don't get as many juices as a whole bird for making gravy. So the juices I do get go into the get ahead gravy on the day.

Oh I would add that as personal preference, I leave the star anise out.

This is the recipe and I will share my step by step photos.
Jamie Oliver - Magazine

You're my Queen!!! Thanks:)

Thanks for this GQ! My hubby loves gravy and complains that, since I almost never ever serve gravy with a meal, (except turkey at Xmastime) he feels the plate looks dry.

I will definitely give this a go, with different kinds of meats, and veggies.

btw: what is a 'hob'? (it's in Jamie Oliver's writeup)

A Hob is a stove.

A Hob is a stove.
hey princess
in the uk,when we talk about the hob it's the burners or hotplates(i think you guy's call them stove tops) above or separate from the oven that we're referring to.over here a stove is something we chuck fuel in to heat a room.
but we're over here & you're over there and it's your site & i ain't going to argue with a mod so......you're right:ROFLMAO:!!!
harry

LOL, thanks for the definitions, PF and Harry! Isn't it amazing how different English can be in different English-speaking countries. (but I must admit there are a few Brits here in Canada who don't think we speak "the Queen's English" whatever that is.

I wonder how many kinds of English (as in language) there are.

LOL, thanks for the definitions, PF and Harry! Isn't it amazing how different English can be in different English-speaking countries. (but I must admit there are a few Brits here in Canada who don't think we speak "the Queen's English" whatever that is.

There are a surprising number of recognized variants of English. There is the English spoken in India, Quebec English, Jamaican English, etc., etc.

There are a surprising number of recognized variants of English. There is the English spoken in India, Quebec English, Jamaican English, etc., etc.
half the world speaks better english than most of "the english" trust me,i live hear:LOL:!

hey princess
in the uk,when we talk about the hob it's the burners or hotplates(i think you guy's call them stove tops) above or separate from the oven that we're referring to.over here a stove is something we chuck fuel in to heat a room.
but we're over here & you're over there and it's your site & i ain't going to argue with a mod so......you're right:ROFLMAO:!!!
harry

I always understood it to be what we would call a stove. The top and not the oven. Any cooktop, really.

I don't intend to offend anyone, but why do you make Chicken Gravy for Turkey? If you don't want to eat the dark meat you could always buy the whole turkey and use the dark meat and bones for your gravy. Then roast the Breast separately. Here the whole turkey is cheaper then just the breast. Here also they sell turkey legs and thighs that make great gravy.

In fact I had a roasted turkey thigh for dinner tonight. They're delicious, easy to cook, and inexpensive.

Turkey full breasts ("crowns") are ridiculously priced. I'm not so sure that the same crown sold with the whole turkey attached is any more expensive than the crown alone. (And I don't mean per pound.)

I think it all comes down to whatever is convenient. IMO turkey gravy and chicken gravy are more similar than different, and the taste more dependent on what fats are included, cooking method for whatever meat, bits and fats included, and seasonings, rather than whether you used a turkey or a chicken.

As far as "crowns" I'd rather have the other part that's left after you dethrone it. ;) I hope the vast unwashed public does not discover that dark meat has a better taste. Oops I let the secret out...

In fact I had a roasted turkey thigh for dinner tonight. They're delicious, easy to cook, and inexpensive.

Turkey full breasts ("crowns") are ridiculously priced. I'm not so sure that the same crown sold with the whole turkey attached is any more expensive than the crown alone. (And I don't mean per pound.)

I think it all comes down to whatever is convenient. IMO turkey gravy and chicken gravy are more similar than different, and the taste more dependent on what fats are included, cooking method for whatever meat, bits and fats included, and seasonings, rather than whether you used a turkey or a chicken.

As far as "crowns" I'd rather have the other part that's left after you dethrone it. ;) I hope the vast unwashed public does not discover that dark meat has a better taste. Oops I let the secret out...

Well DUH!! But you get less meat, fat and bone for the same price. Are you just trying to
stir.gif
?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom