Goodweed's Eggroll Sauces

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
First, I'm going to give you the technique, then the ingredients. The technique will allow you to tailor your sauces to your tastes.

Sweet & Sour sauce is a ballance of sweet, usually some kind of sugar, and sour, usually a vinegar. Depending on what you are after, other ingredients such as garlic, onion, green peppers, etc. are added. The suace is thickened with a cornstarch slurry.

The base liquid for most sweet and sour sauces is usually water. But I prefer to use chicken stock. And I don't color mine with food dye. It looks just fine as is.

The technique is quite simple, but requires attention to your senses. Heat the broth, or water until it is very hot. Dissolve enough sweetener (sugar, brown sugar, or Splenda) to make the liquid fairly sweet. Add a pinch of salt, and then a small amount of white or rice vinegar. Taste it. Are the sweet and the sour componants ballanced? If not, adjust the vinegar or sweetener. And this sauce has to be bold, so don't be afraid to make it strong. When the sweet/sour ballance is to your liking, you can add other ingredients such as crushed pineapple, lemon, peach pure', onion, garlic, etc.

For Pineapple Sweet & sour Sauce (my familiy's favorite)
12 oz. crushed pineapple
1 clove minced garlic
1/2 diced onion
12 oz. Chicken Broth
Vinegar
3/4 cup Brown Sugar or Splenda and 1 tbs. Mollases
salt
Cornstarch

For Lemon Sweet & Sour Sauce (use with seafood, fish, or chicken, or with eggrolls filled with the same):
12 oz. water
1/4 cup sugar or Splenda
1/8 cup lemon juice (or to taste)
cornstarch

The pineapple version can have other tart fruits sustitued for the pineapple. For instance, you could use cherries, or cranberry. Use your imagination.

Goodweed's red sauce for eggrolls:
1 cup tomato ketchup
1 tbs. dry mustard powder, or wasabi to taste.

All of these sauces can be altered. Feell free to do so. Make an incredible sauce of your own, then post it here for us to share.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Back
Top Bottom