Grated Ginger in Tomato Sauce??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

letscook

Head Chef
I watched a video of a women making her Tomato sauce from fresh tomatoes, the only thing is she put fresh grated ginger into it.
Has anyone done this? Do you taste the ginger or does it just add to the over all flavor.
Its a new one on me !!!

New to me too. Gnger has such and intense taste, im sure it would leave its mark.
That being said, when I make a vegetable Moroccan stew ( which is tomato based), I do put a little ginger, along with other intense flavors ( cinnamon ) and the flavors do blend well.

Ginger is s strong flavor, but can be tamed. In small enough amounts, it adds a hint of seething warm and spicy, without calling attention to itself. For instance, not tomato related, but just as an example, several years back, I picked up a chub of liverwurst in a brand I'd not tried before. I cut off a round and ate it when I got home. To my surprise, it tasted a little different, a little more interesting. S I cut another little piece and analyzed the flavors in my mouth. What I tasted that was so different, was a touch of ginger. So, in my own, homemade liver pate', I started adding a small amount of ginger to the mix. The ginger added just a little something extra.

Try using dried, powdered ginger in your nest batch of tomato sauce, or ragu. As you can measure it easily, it will be easy to add an eighth tsp, stir it in, let it simmer for five minutes or so, and taste it. If you can't taste any difference, add another eighth tsp. and repeat.

When you can detect it in your sauce, ask yourself if it adds to, or detracts from the sauce.

I've never used ginger in a tomato sauce. I really can't tell you if it would work. I can tell you it works with chicken broth. So oI maybe would use it in a chicken caciatori.

If you od test ginger in a tomato sauce, let us all know how it comes out.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Back
Top Bottom