Gravy problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

oldrustycars

Senior Cook
I've been making gravy for years. White pepper gravy is my favorite. Can anyone tell me why it sometimes doesn't thicken? 4 tbsp butter, 4 tbsp flour, 1/2 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp pepper, 2 cups milk. Most of the time it thickens up just fine, but once in a while I have to add more flour, sometimes 2 tablespoons more while whisking. I always whisk the entire time after adding the milk, which I always warm first. Tonight I felt I was in danger of scorching it, but it still hadn't thickened. I had to add flour. Any ideas?

Since I rarely measure when making gravy, I would have no problem just adding the extra flour to thicken the gravy. As long as I keep whisking and the heat is reasonable, there be no worry about scorching. I just mix a little more flour with a little more liquid and whisk it in until the gravy thickens to my liking.

Are you making a roux first? Adding flour to hot liquids is not a good idea and frankly its not how its done.
Mix the butter and flour in a sauce pan over low heat stirring continuously until the flour is well incorporated and slightly off color*. Then either add this roux to your medium or add your medium to the roux.
Have a whisk on hand for stirring.

* Roux can be browned for darker gravies and dishes like Gumbo.

Gravy does have to come to a boil to activate the flour's thickening properties. You may be doing this inconsistently. Bring just to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer 1-2 minutes till it reaches the desired thickness. Whisking constantly will prevent scorching.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom