Gravy - proud moment

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

legend_018

Head Chef
I've made decent gravy's in the past. Sometimes it seems like I have good luck and other times, I don't. I'm always inquiring about how people make there gravy and at times, I've watched some videos online watching people. I saw one video that really caught my attention. I had VERY GOOD luck with it today.

1. Cook chicken in oven. In this case, I had only cooked 2 chicken legs and I used a very small pan - there wasn't much room in the pan for anything else other than the legs. I just baked them in the oven until done. Prior to putting them in the oven, I used salt, pepper, olive oil and some fresh thyme. There were actually some juices on the bottom of the pan from cooking the chicken. Not a lot, but some.

2. Pour off any grease and juices from pan and take everything out of the pan.
3. Put pan on the stove and turn heat on
4. Put a tablespoon of butter into the pan along with a small spoonful of tomato paste. Mix and let cook a little. It should be a slight orange color. I did sneak in a little of the pan juices back in. I didn't bother trying to separate any fat. There wasn't much pan juices there to begin with.
5. Add some flour. Enough to suck up the grease. In my case, I added 2 small spoonfuls.
6. Add water or chicken broth. In my house, I only ended up added a cup. This helps release the drippings on the bottom of the pan.
7. I let cook on low for a good 5 minutes. I happen to be using my high heat burner so when it's on low - it's a bit higher than a simmer. I didn't mix it constantly, but did keep an eye on it and I mixed often. Usually when I checked on it, it would be at fair boil.
8. Add a little cream, a tiny butter, salt, pepper, and some thyme. The cream helps smooth it out. The butter will add a nice shean to the gravy and give it more flavor.
9. I also personally added a few drops of gravy master.

I didn't quite fill the entire gravy bowl, but it came close to filling it up.

Here is the video that gave me the inspiration to try this.
My gravy didn't come out that dark, but it came out VERY GOOD and finally thick enough for my likings. Yeah Me!!!!

Starting the Pan Gravy for Herb Roasted Chicken Recipe: Recipe for Herb Roasted Chicken with Pan Gravy | eHow.com

It's a 3 part series, so you just go to the one before it and the one after it to see the whole thing.

Last edited:
Theres nothing like good gravy to make a meal feel like a banquet. There is an art, not just busying a fork around a roasting pan full of meat drippings, splosh of water, cornstarch and hope for the best. Your recipe/method is great, and I hope you don't mind but I've saved it.

I should of said in #6 that I added chicken broth not water and at the end of #6 I should of said to bring to a boil. With the small pan I had, it was a matter of seconds before it came to a boil.

Last edited:
I should of said in #6 that I added chicken broth not water and at the end of #6 I should of said to bring to a boil. With the small pan I had, it was a matter of seconds before it came to a boil.

Chicken broth in home made gravy is lovely. :)

Here is a picture too. : ).
I took it after I had some on my mashed potatoes this afternoon.

Attachments

• 36159_1523129712145_1051661731_2722113_8260525_n.jpg
    36159_1523129712145_1051661731_2722113_8260525_n.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 194

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom