Home made hot sauce discussion.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Village Idiot

Assistant Cook
I came up with the idea to make hot sauce last week. I and a friend of mine made our first batch which turned out decent, but I want to make more and learn more about this amazing stuff.

The first batch started by putting some oil in a pan and sautéing 3 habaneras and 7 cubanelles until they started browning. Then we added water and boiled for about 20 minutes.

That went into the processor and was pureed. We tasted it to see what kind of flavor we got from the mixture of peppers and it could only be described as….bland. Slightly spicy, but with no real flavor. We ended up putting honey, Worcestershire, cilantro, and vinegar in until got the desired taste. It almost tasted like a chimmi churri sauce. I think we messed up by added distilled white vinegar vs. a milder vinegar like cider. After it sat for a week though, the vinegar kind of mellowed out and made a nice smooth flavor.

Our next two batches are going to be smoked jalapenos and smoked habaneras. Blend and add bacon fat for a spicy bacon hot sauce and the second batch is going to be the smoked peppers with brown sugar for a sweeter sauce.

Now, time for the discussion part, how bad am I butchering hot sauce in general? I want taste with a mild heat (we can eat the current batch like it’s a slightly spicy salsa, it’s not that hot with the current hot pepper to not pepper ratio) and flavor. Are there special peppers that actually have taste? Is there a perfect vinegar that you use? Is it weird that I want bacon flavored hot sauce?

And….go!

I came up with the idea to make hot sauce last week. I and a friend of mine made our first batch which turned out decent, but I want to make more and learn more about this amazing stuff.

The first batch started by putting some oil in a pan and sautéing 3 habaneras and 7 cubanelles until they started browning. Then we added water and boiled for about 20 minutes.

That went into the processor and was pureed. We tasted it to see what kind of flavor we got from the mixture of peppers and it could only be described as….bland. Slightly spicy, but with no real flavor. We ended up putting honey, Worcestershire, cilantro, and vinegar in until got the desired taste. It almost tasted like a chimmi churri sauce. I think we messed up by added distilled white vinegar vs. a milder vinegar like cider. After it sat for a week though, the vinegar kind of mellowed out and made a nice smooth flavor.

Our next two batches are going to be smoked jalapenos and smoked habaneras. Blend and add bacon fat for a spicy bacon hot sauce and the second batch is going to be the smoked peppers with brown sugar for a sweeter sauce.

Now, time for the discussion part, how bad am I butchering hot sauce in general? I want taste with a mild heat (we can eat the current batch like it’s a slightly spicy salsa, it’s not that hot with the current hot pepper to not pepper ratio) and flavor. Are there special peppers that actually have taste? Is there a perfect vinegar that you use? Is it weird that I want bacon flavored hot sauce?

And….go!

"Butchering" is a bit harsh,you were experimenting around :) That's how all great cooks start out.
Hot sauce is relatively easy to make.I don't add vinegar and very little water to a batch of sauce.You could try lime juice instead of vinegar.

If you want a mild taste buy a bag of some dried chili peppers,usually found in the ethnic isles.
Preheat your oven to 350.Remove the tips and seeds from the chili's.Bake them on a cookie sheet for about 4 minutes.
Remove them to a large cold water bowl.Let them soak until the water has a nice color to it.
Take the peppers add them to a blender/ food processor,add some garlic,salt to taste after wards.Add a cup at a time of the water you soaked the chili's in.
You can decide how thick or thin you want it.
Blend it until it's smooth.Add more water if you want.
When it's at the point you prefer.Add it all to a saucepan.Add a dash of olive oil,salt to taste.At this point everything is up to taste of the individual.
I usually add all the seeded and chopped peppers now.Jalapeno's,Habanero's,whatever I have ready in the garden.
Then let the sauce simmer just until the peppers are tender.

Everyone has their own take on it.Here's a great link plenty more out there.But it's a start anyways.Check out the recipe section :)

Fiery Foods and Barbecue SuperSite

Munky.

I don't add vinegar although you can.

depending on how spicy you want it you add the peppers

to add flavor salt and pepper is very important, also garlic and onion will enhance the taste.

take your spice mixture fry them first, or oven bake, what ever you like
then put them in the blender and add some water and oil usually 2-3 part water/1 part oil
then blend it and cook again for about 30 minutes

to add more flavor how about, lemon grass or lime leave?

two Indonesian sambal recepies..

Bumbu kuning

50 gr. Bird eye chilly
225 gr. shallot
125 gr. garlic
50 gr kencur root (lesser galangal)
60 gr. Laos
125 gr. fresh turmeric
100 gr candle nuts
50 gr palm sugar
150 ml vegetable oil
2 ea. lemon grass
250 ml water
Salt

Chop everything up and cook for 1 hour, till golden color

Bumbu merah

200 gr red chilly seeded and cut
60 gram shallots sliced
50 gram garlic sliced
100 ml salad oil
150 ml water for blending

Put all in blender and cook for 30 minutes

"Butchering" is a bit harsh,you were experimenting around :) That's how all great cooks start out.
Hot sauce is relatively easy to make.I don't add vinegar and very little water to a batch of sauce.You could try lime juice instead of vinegar.

If you want a mild taste buy a bag of some dried chili peppers,usually found in the ethnic isles.
Preheat your oven to 350.Remove the tips and seeds from the chili's.Bake them on a cookie sheet for about 4 minutes.
Remove them to a large cold water bowl.Let them soak until the water has a nice color to it.
Take the peppers add them to a blender/ food processor,add some garlic,salt to taste after wards.Add a cup at a time of the water you soaked the chili's in.
You can decide how thick or thin you want it.
Blend it until it's smooth.Add more water if you want.
When it's at the point you prefer.Add it all to a saucepan.Add a dash of olive oil,salt to taste.At this point everything is up to taste of the individual.
I usually add all the seeded and chopped peppers now.Jalapeno's,Habanero's,whatever I have ready in the garden.
Then let the sauce simmer just until the peppers are tender.

Everyone has their own take on it.Here's a great link plenty more out there.But it's a start anyways.Check out the recipe section :)

Fiery Foods and Barbecue SuperSite

Munky.

Sorry, that wasn't very clear. By milder taste, I mean as far as the vinegar bite goes and not heat. Fortunately our first batch mellowed out after being in the fridge, but I don't want a Frank's Red Hot type hot sauce where vinegar tastes like the number one ingredient. I like stuff like crack a peppa and tiger sauce. Hot sauce without your typical tabasco, yucateco, choulula, type vinegar bite.

The last batch was full peppers, seeds and all.

Back
Top Bottom