Home made spaghetti sauce

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

my_psychosis

Senior Cook
I am trying to find a home made spaghetti sauce recipe, but they all call for canned tomatoes. I want to use the fresh Romas from my garden.
Anybody got a good recipe using FRESH tomatoes they are willing to share? Thank you. :)

You should be able to substitute the fresh tomatos for the canned ones in any recipe. If the recipe calls for 28 ounces of canned tomato, just replace it with 28 ounces chopped fresh tomatos.

I make a roasted tomato sauce with Romas. Simply cut them in half give each half a little squeeze to remove extra juice and some seeds, and spread out on a foil covered baking sheet. Sprinkle chopped onions and garlic over the top, drizzle with olive oil, and season with salt, pepper and oregano. Roast in 250 degree oven for about 3 hours.
Run through a food mill to remove peelings and seeds, and put in heavy pot on stove. Add a little white wine or even chicken broth, adjust seasoning, and let simmer until it tastes good.

I make a roasted tomato sauce with Romas. Simply cut them in half give each half a little squeeze to remove extra juice and some seeds, and spread out on a foil covered baking sheet. Sprinkle chopped onions and garlic over the top, drizzle with olive oil, and season with salt, pepper and oregano. Roast in 250 degree oven for about 3 hours.
Run through a food mill to remove peelings and seeds, and put in heavy pot on stove. Add a little white wine or even chicken broth, adjust seasoning, and let simmer until it tastes good.

MMM That sounds wonderful. Thank you.

I throw basil on my roasting tomatoes. yum.
you can also cook them down in a pot: saute onions and garlic, add chopped tomatoes herbs and pinch of chili flakes salt and pepper and cook down, add 1/4 cup of dry red wine, continue to simmer. After 1 1/2 hr run sauce through a food mill (to get rid of skins etc) check for flavor and adjust seasonings and continue to reduce if necessary. If sauce is too thick, thin with a bit of pasta water (the sated starchy water left over from cooking pasta.)

variations: add a finely chopped carrot to the saute vegetables, celery too if you like.
add ground meat or sausage, etc.

right now is sauce making time, and I like the roasted myself. If you have extra beefsteaks, core the tomatoes, drop a basil leaf and garlic clove in each, drizzle with olive oil, season with salt and pepper, roast an hour at 300, turn oven off and let cool in the oven. Pour "water" in pan off (save for a broth or soup), skin each tomato and puree with the garlic and basil. This fresh sauce is wonderful.

If you're making a cooked tomato sauce, I'm also in the "roast the romas first" camp.

However... since you have fresh tomatoes, an alternative is a Fresh Tomato Sauce: toss your cooked pasta with olive oil and minced garlic (I lightly sauté the minced garlic in the heated olive oil first), a bit of fresh lemon juice and zest, as much chopped fresh tomato and basil as you like, S&P to taste and some freshly grated or shaved Parm. to finish Simple, fresh and soooo good :)

Back
Top Bottom