Hot sauce

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kimbaby

Executive Chef
what do you eat hot sauce on and have you ever tried to make it home made? My husband loves this stuff on everything,I can't tolerate it but I was just curious how many fire breathers we had here at dc? :LOL:

I will put it on any mexican dish and just dip Tostitos in it. I make my own now, but, I used to buy On The Border Salsa.

Okay, if your talking hot sauce and not salsa, I use Frank's hot sauce on just about anything, especially pizza :eek:)

Last edited:
I like salsa on Mexican food and scrambled eggs... but...salsa is not really hot sauce. I don't use it for anything...

I do not make my own, but like Marie Sharp's Habanero sauce from Belize. It is HOT but also nicely tasty. I add it some soups and stews. I do not tend to use it all over the place.

I love hot sauce and put it on tons of things. too many to mention. I made my own once. It was a habanero sauce. I still have a ton of it. The flavor was good, but not as good as some of the other sauces I have bought.

To use Dan Akroyd's quote from an old Tabasco commercial, I put it "On any food humans can consume" (or something to that effect).

We've made it at home too, but I usually make it FAR to hot for anyone but me to enjoy, so it gets used up in cooking. I've found it's far more effecient to dry the peppers and use them for pepper flakes, and buy the hot sauce at the store.

John

My DH puts it on everything too - especially when he is dieting. The only thing I put it on is grits with lots of cheddar cheese, and only a little bit. I know, its weird, but look who's posting.

Robo410 said:
I do not make my own, but like Marie Sharp's Habanero sauce from Belize. It is HOT but also nicely tasty. I add it some soups and stews. I do not tend to use it all over the place.

That is my favorite too. What a treat it is! It's usually my finishing touch when I am mixing up a bowl of guacamole.

We will add a tad of hot sauce to almost anything.

Cannot imagine an egg, except a boiled one, without a splash of one hot sauce or another.

We use it all the time.

For a snack will take some crackers and cheese and put a dab or two of hot sauce on top and nuke.

Need to stuff a bird, a bit of hot sauce added to the dressing gives it a certain tang that even people who do not like hot stuff appreciate. Never overdo the stuff, particularly with civilians.

Even will add it to peanut butter, salads, and well, you name it.

And we have all sorts of hot sauces; it is the flavor and not just the hotness that people who like chili sauce appreciate.

Take a stew, spaghetti, lasagna, raw oysters, nothing can improve the taste better than a touch of hot sauce.

Just my humble opinion.

auntdot said:
We will add a tad of hot sauce to almost anything.

Cannot imagine an egg, except a boiled one, without a splash of one hot sauce or another.

We use it all the time.

For a snack will take some crackers and cheese and put a dab or two of hot sauce on top and nuke.

Need to stuff a bird, a bit of hot sauce added to the dressing gives it a certain tang that even people who do not like hot stuff appreciate. Never overdo the stuff, particularly with civilians.

Even will add it to peanut butter, salads, and well, you name it.

And we have all sorts of hot sauces; it is the flavor and not just the hotness that people who like chili sauce appreciate.

Take a stew, spaghetti, lasagna, raw oysters, nothing can improve the taste better than a touch of hot sauce.

Just my humble opinion.

Peanut butter????:ohmy: What does that taste like??

Eggs, Chili, Mexican food, Bloody Marys, wings, pizza. Tabasco Chipotle sauce rocks!

I keep Tobasco on hand for certain recipes, but the one I sometimes add to my plate is Louisanna Red Hot Sauce. It is plenty warm, but it's more of a slow burn than a "YeeHoo!"
I just put a few splashes in the canned ham & split pea soup I had for lunch today.

In regard to the peanut butter, one can make a great szechwan sauce with peanut butter and Pace Piquante sauce.

In my cubard, Pantry and Fridge at any one time you will find no less than 20 varieties of hot sauce. I do not go for the hot sauces that promiss to burn your mouth and eat a hole in your inards.

I like VERY hot sauces but I want flavor as well.

I use hot sauce on nearly everything:
Soup, steak, burgers, fish, pasta, eggs, sandwiches of all varieties, and so forth.

My favorite sauce depends on the food involved: on burgers and fries I use a scotch bonnet sauce called Matouk's Flambaue which I use instead of ketchup. Other times it is tobasco, or Atlanta's Burning or...well you get the point.

I have made my own sauce but it is so much easier to buy it at a store!

I am quite fond of Sriracha chili sauce... mmm. I put it on many things. I make devilled eggs using it and boy, are they good!

Peanut butter may be the ultimate food.

Love it with almost anything.

Most favorite additive with peanut butter is Worcestershire sauce, but that is off topic.

As for hot sauce, peanut and hot is used in many, many Asian recipes.

One of my favorites is cold peanut butter noodles. The hot sauce, used judiiciously, adds an extra layer of flavor to the dish.

But heck, I will mix hot sauce with peanut butter to put on a cracker.

Peanut butter, IMHO, in many recipes, calls for a tad of hot sauce.

My take is the following:

Hot sauce has a lot of flavor.

A bit, in many recipes, will be under the level that anyone can detect as hot, it just adds a little something that makes the recipe tastier.

Just my opinion.

I love hot sauce. My favorite brands are Tabasco, Cholula, Valentina and Tapatio. I like to put them on eggs, chili, chile rellenos, tacos, soups, quesadillas, etc. A favorite snack is to dip tortilla chips in sour cream and sprinkle with Cholula hot sauce. Tabasco is great mixed with ketchup for dipping French fries into. I make my own salsa, but never have tried to make hot sauce.

Fire Mouth

I love anything hot and spicy. Hot sauce and chips are a must in my house. If salsa will work with the food, then on it goes!

Back
Top Bottom