Hot sauce

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
How hot do you want it? This one is on the upper end of the Richter Scale!

Chernobyl Pepper Sauce (It has taken me years to get this one right.)

12 habanero peppers
2 Cups water, brought to boil
2 carrots, chopped
1 lg. onion, chopped
6 cloves of garlic, chopped
½ Tbsp. canning/kosher salt
¼ Tbsp. of finely ground fresh black pepper
1 lime
8 Tbsp red wine vinegar

First, place the habaneros in boiling water and blanch for about 30 seconds. Remove and place into a bowl of ice water. Drain and rub off the skins (discard those). Cut the habanero peppers in half and scrape away the seeds. Set aside. Add the chopped onions and carrots to the boiling water and cook until the carrots are tender. Drain vegetables.

Into your blender, combine the juice from the lime and all other ingredients. Puree until smooth. Pour into a pint jar and store in fridge. I have saved many pepper sauce jars that have narrow mouths, instead of plastic inserts (like Tabasco uses), and I refill these with this recipe. Actually, this is a great way to use up lots of the peppers at once. – I make multiple batches throughout the summer and can into pint jars. Then I open the jars and funnel into bottles (then chill them!) just before giving out as gifts during the holidays with jelly.

Audeo, are you hoping to be named as a beneficiary in the will, when the recipient literally dies?

Holy Craphouse, I might literally die if I tried this!

Does "reflux" exist as a problem in Texas?

Lifter

Lifter said:
Audeo, are you hoping to be named as a beneficiary in the will, when the recipient literally dies?

Holy Craphouse, I might literally die if I tried this!

Does "reflux" exist as a problem in Texas?

Lifter

Good Lord, I think I have a hernia after laughing my head off on this one, Lifter!!!!!!!!

Let's just say that while my family won't touch sweet potatoes, they do definately have a bend toward the warm side of life! Gotta love 'em for that! 8)

Doesn't look too hot to me. :roll: But I'm a freak of nature. . .

Recipe looks good. I'll have to give it a try. But we can't get habaneros in this part of the world, so I'll just have to substitute what is locally available, which is still hot, and, for that matter, hotter than the habaneros I've had. Mmm! Hot Green Hot Sauce!! Yum!

I have made Audeo's recipe and it is fantastic! Yes it is very hot, but if you can handle heat then this sauce has a great flavor. A little bit goes a long way :)

Well, GB, I'm glad to hear that! You ARE a brave gent!

And quidscribis, I don't doubt that you have a most excellent substitute in Sri Lanka! Your stuff we can't get here! And I doubt our respective Customs would allow an exchange. Alas!

But there's a whole heckuvalotta stuff I can't get here that I'm used to having. Frozen food sections, convenience foods, mixes, canned food - not available. Good thing I'm a good cook or I wouldn't survive! Everything has to be made from scratch. And fruits and vegetables - well, a lot of what's familiar isn't available, and a lot of what's available is completely unfamiliar.

So, six of one, half a dozen of the other.

Back
Top Bottom