ISO cilantro sauce

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

abjcooking

Head Chef
When I order Indian food and get Naan, I get this wonderful cilantro sauce and date sauce with it. I am specifically looking for the recipe for the cilantro so I can fix it tonight with Amber's recipe for Chicken Tikka. If anyone has a recipe for the cilantro sauce or date sauce could you please share it?
Sorry I don't know the proper names for these.

I know the cilantro sauce you are talking about, but I don't know how to make it. I do know that it has mint in it.

Do you mean a raita style dip?

When I make it I dice half a cucumber, handful each of coriander LEAVES (what you call cilantro) and mint, chopped and a carton of plain yoghurt. (Sometimes I add crushed garlic, but if you are going to make a curry then you've probably got enough garlic in the main dish!)

Put the diced cucumber and coriander leaves and mint in a bowl. Add enough plain yoghurt to coat the herbs/cucumber. Add salt and ground pepper, to taste. Chill before serving.

I'm not exactly sure. It is definitly a smooth sauce that is spicy that you dip the naan into. I usually don't taste mint in it, but I could be wrong.

The cilantro sauce is called Corrainder Chutney. It has mint in it as well. Here is how you make it.

2 bunches of cilantro - washed and roughly chopped (just discard the roots and chop the stem and leaves)
1 cup of mint leaves - washed (no stems)
2 jalapeno peppers chopped (seeds and all - if you want it less spicy use less jalapenos)
juice of 2 limes
3 cloves of garlic
pinch of cumin powder
1 tsp of sugar
salt to taste
1/2 cup of peanuts (I use unsalted, if you use salted, keep an eye on the salt)

Blend it all in a blender. Chill in the refrigerator for an hour before serving it with your tikka's.

I think this is what you're looking for - courtesy of 'CD Kitchen' -

adlog.php
click here to print | click here to return to recipe | Having trouble printing? let us know!

graydot.gif

minichef.jpg
Cilantro Chutney
CDKitchen http://www.cdkitchen.com

Category: Chutney
Serves/Makes: 8 | Difficulty Level: 3 | Ready In: < 30 minutes

Ingredients:
1 1/2 cup lightly packed fresh cilantro
1 cup lightly packed fresh mint leaves
5 tablespoons water
1 1/2 tablespoon white wine vinegar
2 teaspoons sugar
1 teaspoon curry powder
1 large garlic clove
1/4 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper Directions:
Process all ingredients in blender until herbs are just chopped. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Excellent on grilled salmon.

Recipe Location: http://www.cdkitchen.com/recipes/recs/508/Cilantro_Chutney4244.shtml This recipe is from CDKitchen http://www.cdkitchen.com
© 1995-2005 CDKitchen, Inc.

Note - there are as many recipes for cilantro chutney as there are Indian grandmas! :)

The ingredients are starting to look close. This sauce was a little runny where as chutney can be pretty thick. Do you think adding some yogurt to this mix would taste good with the Chicken Tikka?

Abj, sorry did not know you also wanted the date sauce recipe. Anyway I reread your post and here you go. My secret is applesauce and not dates to make my version and you would never know the difference.

Also a note on the recipe that marmalady found - Vinegar is never used in Indian chutneys that are made with mint and corriander, nor is curry powder or dried chilli flakes. Peanuts are used to give a smooth consistency to the sauce because we also use this sauce as a sandwich spread.

Recipe for Tamarind Chutney:

1.5 cups of applesauce - Any kind
3 tbsps of tamarind pulp - I buy pulped tamarind in plastic containers (you can find them in Indian or Asian markets)
1 cup of brown sugar if not more (I like my chutney sweet but you can taste as you go)
1 tsp of red chilli powder
1 tsp of cumin powder
salt a pinch
1/4 cup of water

In a saucepan, add the applesauce and water and bring it to a boil. Add the tamarind and remaining ingredients and cook this mixture until it's nice thick and bubbly.

Let it cool completely. Store in an airtight container in your refrigerator and serve with any Indian snacks - we use this with samosas, pakoras, pappadums, tikkas, you name it.

Another suggestion. If you really want something a bit different mix one tbsp of the green corrainder chutney with 2 tbsp of the sweet chutney. It has a balance of sweet and spicy that goes very well with tikkas, kababs etc.

Yakuta,
Is there any way to substitute the tamarind pulp for regular tamarind? If so I may try to make that tonight also, since the applesauce is much easier to get than the dates. If not I will just get some from the resaurant and worry about the corriander sauce.

I didnt' notice that there was water added to marmalandy's recipe. Here is what I am going to make for the sauce. If you think there should be any changes, or have any other recipes you love, or suggestions, please pitch in.

1 bunch corriander
1-2 jalapenos
juice of 1 lime
1-2 garlic cloves
small pinch cumin
1 t. sugar
a touch of water or yogurt until it reaches consistency I'm looking for

Yes any form of tamarind will work - I just shared what I think is easier.

If you use regular block of tamarind. Cover the block with warm water. Leave it for 30 minutes. Then squeeze out the pulp from the tamarind. Strain the mixture in a seive and use in place of the readymade pulp.

Yogurt can be used in place of peanuts in the green sauce. It will be milder but a lot of restaurants add yogurt nowadays to suit the western palate.

The cilantro sauce at my fav Indian spot has no dairy in it and I cannot taste peanuts, either.

I can taste cilantro, garlic, and mint. Possibly tamarind.

No curry or cumin to my taste, either ....

I could eat gallons of that stuff!!

abjcooking,

Sorry I cannot contribute a recipe for cilantro sauce, but I did want to say I love your pictures from Maine. I live in Maine, and particularly like the picture of the lobsta, but your other two pictures really captured the scenery! Very nice:) Were there many black flies?:mrgreen:

Didnt mean to distract from the original post, carry on people.

Amber,
I'm glad you liked the pictures. My bf and I just fell in love with the place. In fact we liked it so much we are trying to plan another trip before the end of the summer. We stayed at 2 different campsights on Mount Desert Island where Acadia is located. We really only had problems with the mosquitos. The mosquitoes up in Maine really seem to like your ears:) It was the perfect trip. I wish I could have posted more pictures, but I ran out of space.

Thanks for the chicken recipe. I threw the chicken in the marinade last night. Can't wait to get home and start cooking.

Jennyema green sauce can have peanuts, yogurt and sometimes coconut added to it. It's basically a variation to the green chutney and adds depth and smoothness to it. Not to mention a whole another dimension of flavor.

The green chutney is so versatile in Indian cooking that as I stated we use it for a lot of things. I have made chicken with it along with cream. We use it as a sandwich spread (it's our indian version of mayo) and use it as a condiment with a lot of other snacks and also add it to raita's.

You can make the chutney leaving all these ingredients out with just cilantro, mint, jalapeno's, garlic and lime. I just don't like the consistency of that sauce.

Like I said, there are probably as many recipes for this as there are Indian grandmoms!

I don't remember having one that had peanuts in it, either. ANd the vinegar just gives a little 'back of the mouth' bite - leave it out, if you don't like it!

Restaurants out here are using peanuts in sauces and in other "hidden" ways less and less because of allergies and liability issues.

I know there's no yogurt in the one I like (from a particular restaurant*) because my SO is very dairy allergic so we always ask.

It is much thinner in consistency than riata. Might it be made without anything to thicken it?

Maybe that's why I like it.

GB -- Bukara on Centre St. in JP but it's owned by the same people that own Mantra and a bunch of other places.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom