ISO Demi Glace recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

g4user

Assistant Cook
HI there,

following my success of my chicken stock I am gonna make a beef stock this weekend and then go onto make demi glace. Now I have a good recipe for a beef stock, (that ex soccer player turned, chef again, Gordan Ramsey) but to take it to the next step I need a bit of help. Anybody?

Chris

Hello G4

What specific 'help' do you need? :)

I use equal portions of beef (or venison) stock and Espagnole sauce - plus extra madeira and allow to reduce by about half. Then add it to a browned roux.

Speaking of Gordon Ramsay, which of his books are you referring to? 'Gordon Ramsay's Secrets'?

He's a chef I like a lot, but I've yet to buy any of his books. Was thinking of buying 'Secrets' and also his latest: 'Gordon Ramsay Makes it Easy' (which comes with a DVD - excellent idea!).

Chris
I'm at work at the mo, and don't have my cookery books to hand. However, I like the Foody site and there is a good Espagnole recipe (Mrs Beeton revisited section... highly recommended!) Have a look.. If I remember when I get home, I'lll try to hunt out the Sonia Stevenson version - I use mostly her recipes for standard sauces..

http://thefoody.com/mrsbsoups/espagnole.html

See my step by step demonstration of how a chicken demi glace (Galce du Polet) is made here:

A process of making a chicken demi is the same as making a veal demi except no tomato paste is smeared on the bones while roasting. This is not to say that you couldn't do that...I just elected not to on this demo. You will also see I use no roux to thicken. I prefer reduction because a cleaner sauce is created and the flavor is very intense.

I hope you find it useful!

Marko

Actually...I just joined here and I am unable to link you to m cooking blog until I have 20 posts. Sorry..........

Marko and Sage, can you exchange this info via PM for now please? We have a rule about no links by new members to prevent the boards getting flamed and covered in spam and we prefer if you don't circumvent that. Thanks all.

Marko, after your 20 posts you can post your link OK? Contact an Admin if you need clarification.

You do realize that a traditional demi-glaze takes significant time and resources. Do you have 15 lbs. of veal shin bones, and a day to devote to stirring the sauce as it reduces.

There are many recipes for making a more modern, less time-consuming version. A quick google search will give you more recipes than you know what to do with.

Look first at something like Escoffier's recipe, and then compare with smaller, and less time consuming versions.

Seeeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

LOL this thread is from 3 years ago Goodweed. If he did have the bones, I doubt he still does ;)

LOL this thread is from 3 years ago Goodweed. If he did have the bones, I doubt he still does ;)

Still the same time consuming recipe though. lol

Can you get veal bones from a butcher? I was going to spend this coming rainy weekend making this but opted to stop at the local Williams Sonoma for that concentrated jar.

Back
Top Bottom