ISO recipe for mustard sauce for rack of lamb

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CassieKate

Assistant Cook
I usually do Ina Garten's version of rack of lamb served with mint jelly, but my hubby also wants mustard sauce. Anyone have a quick recipe? thanks!

Here is the sauce I have used for years and I love it as does everyone who have tasted it. It is meant for lamb, but I've used it on a pork roast with equally good comments.

MUSTARD CREAM SAUCE FOR LAMB (Yield: 1 cup)

3/4 Cup dry white wine
1 heaping Tablespoon minced shallot
3/4 cup heavy or whipping cream
4 Tablespoons Dijon or coarse grained mustard
ground white pepper to taste

Boil the wine and the shallot until reduced to about 4 tablespoons. Add the cream, Bring the mixture just to a boil then simmer on low heat for 2 minutes or til thickened slightly.

Strain the sauce through a fine sieve and whisk in the mustard, white pepper and, if needed, salt to taste.

Cut the lamb into 1/2 inch thick slices and pass the sauce around the table.

Last edited:
Wow, thank you so much!!! I printed this out and will use this for the future! I ended up just using mint sauce, but I'll use this next time.

You could use the same thing I slather on my Czech pork loin.

2tbls EVOO(olive oil...)
2 tbls Dijon mustard
2 tbls caraway seeds
1 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper.

You could use the same thing I slather on my Czech pork loin.

2tbls EVOO(olive oil...)
2 tbls Dijon mustard
2 tbls caraway seeds
1 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper.

Caraway seeds are great on pork and saurekraut, but because of the intense flavor of lamb, and the intense flavor of the caraway seeds, I don't think I would recommend this on lamb. I will try this on my next pork roast as a rub since there is no liquid to make a sauce.

Here's my traditional Easter Dinner recipe for brandied rabbit in mustard sauce. You should be able to extricate the mustard sauce recipe from it. Personally, I'd marinate the lamb in the brandy while I was at it.

BRANDIED RABBIT IN MUSTARD SAUCE

1 medium frying Rabbit, cut up
1 Tbs Olive oil
1 Tbs Butter
1 medium Onion, quartered
Whole cloves
Bouquet garni
Salt and pepper
Brandy
4 Tbs whipping cream
1-1/2 Tbs coarse Dijon Mustard

Wipe meat pieces and trim off any fat. Heat olive oil and butter in large skillet. Generously press whole cloves into onion quarters, add to skillet, and saute until onion is soft, but not browned. Season rabbit pieces with salt and pepper, add rabbit and bouquet garni to pan, and saute rabbit pieces on all sides until browned.

Generously 'slosh' at least 1/2 cup brandy over top of rabbit pieces, cover, and cook over medium low heat for about 30 minutes, or until rabbit pieces are cooked through. Remove rabbit pieces from pan and keep warm.

Discard onion quarters, cloves, and bouquet garni. Increase heat to medium high. Add cream and mustard, stirring constantly until slightly thickened. Return rabbit pieces to pan and coat on all sides with sauce. Serve immediately

Last edited:
Caraway seeds are great on pork and saurekraut, but because of the intense flavor of lamb, and the intense flavor of the caraway seeds, I don't think I would recommend this on lamb. I will try this on my next pork roast as a rub since there is no liquid to make a sauce.

You could easily be spot on. I am not a big lamb eater and always underestimate the flavor. The caraway could fight the lamb where it enhances the pork.

Back
Top Bottom