Italian translation help-Pistachio Sauce for pasta

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

marmar

Senior Cook
I just got home from Pisa last night, and while I was there picked up some tortelloni since it packed the best and the packaging was pretty. (Though then I saw it at the grocery store today, and was upset because it was on sale making it the same price, though the recipe on the back was different). There's a recipe on the back, which I guess makes what is like a sauce for it, I'm not sure what exactly to call it, but I can't understand all of it. If I translate the ingredients correctly, then I'm in good shape.

The recipe calls for
  • 60g di pistacchi (pistachios)
  • 1 bicchiere di panna da cucina
  • 30g di Parmigiano Reggiano (30g of Parmigiano Reggiano)
  • 20g di burro (butter)
  • 2 foglie di salvia (2 sage leaves)
I understand most of that, and the instructions, except I'm not sure as to what exactly a bicchiere di panna da cucina is. I think its some sort of cream, but I really have no clue. Any help as to what it is would be appreciated. So I guess my questions are:

Does panna da cucina mean heavy cream?
How many ml is a bicchiere?

Last edited:
I was searching, and I wasn't doing so well. I just know sometimes you use half of the amount called for, which still confuses me as to what it is.

Well, it appears that it's a glass (about the size of a tea cup) of heavy cream ... or more literally - a glass of kitchen cream - but I have no idea of how big an Italian tea cup is. But these amounts might help:

6 oz = 177 ml
8 oz = 236 ml
10 oz = 295 ml

Sending out an SOS to urmaniac13 who can probably help us decipher this better .... since she lives in Italy.

Last edited:
Ciao from Rome Italy, Marmar, Michael sent me the heads up and here I am to help you...

1 bicchiere di panna da cucina, literally means 1 glass of cooking cream.

"1 bicchiere", more precisely, is about 200ml, or 7 fluid oz., slightly less than the English term "1 cup".

"Panna da cucina" is one of 2 types of cream most commonly used in Italy, this one is with 25%milk fat and mostly used for cooking. Another type is "panna da montare", with 35% milk fat and this is ideal for making whipping cream for sweet treats.

Panna, or cream is commonly sold in UHT packets, and one of the most popular size is 200ml. (other variations 500ml, and 1lt.) So another popular interpretation is when it calls for 1 bicchiere di panna, which means 1 small brick pack of cream.

I hope this explanation helps you, and if you have any other doubts or questions about recipes you found in Italy, don't hesitate to ask me!! (or also RDG can help you too, he is a true Italian from Milano...)

Kitchen cream - cooking cream ... picky picky - I was close! :LOL:

I always learn so much from you Licia - grazie donna bella, grazie!

Grazie.
The explanation definately helped. Otherwise I probably would have ended up using too much cream when I made it.
So far I don't think I have any other recipes. I tried not to buy things I wouldn't be able to understand.

Of course, translation is perfect and accurate. I can't obviously imagine what type of cream you can find in your countries, but here, for sauces, CHEF cream is the best. If you can find it.....

Back
Top Bottom