Keeping cheese sauce creamy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SilvrBck

Cook
This weekend I made a cheese sauce that used a bechamel base with fontina. I had it simmering on low on the stove and it started out creamy but turned grainy. :glare: Is this because I let the sauce get too hot after adding the cheese or was it perhaps the cheese I was using? I like my cheese sauce creamy!

Too hot is the answer. After getting the bechamel right, take it off the heat and stir/whisk in the cheese a little at a time.

Andy's right - - too hot. There's nothing worse than creating the most wonderful, creamy mac and cheese and then digging in that very first hot bite and it's GRAINY!!!! It's sooooo disappointing. I did that the last time too - I've learned my lesson for at least 2 years - then I'll come back here and ask what I did wrong because by them I will have forgotten :rolleyes:

When you make cheese sauce you remove it from the heat to whisk in the cheese and then just keep it warm--over hot water if it has to be held long. If it is going to be used over veggies, you can put it over and then heat in the oven.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom