Makin' Gravy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I read that a while ago. I was curious about the name, 'cause it just seemed like beef schnitzel to me. And basically, that's what it is. :LOL:

When I visited Austin, Texas, a couple of years ago, I was surprised to learn that many Germans immigrated into Texas in the 1840s because of political strife in the Austro-Hungarian Empire. Once Texas became a U.S. state, the government actively sought to bring European settlers to build up the non-Mexican population. Of course, they brought their cooking traditions with them, including schnitzel :chef:

When I visited Austin, Texas, a couple of years ago, I was surprised to learn that many Germans immigrated into Texas in the 1840s because of political strife in the Austro-Hungarian Empire. Once Texas became a U.S. state, the government actively sought to bring European settlers to build up the non-Mexican population. Of course, they brought their cooking traditions with them, including schnitzel :chef:

Texas has a very German heritage:

germanset.gif

Flour that has been heated by itself until slightly browned or beyond slightly has been 'dextrinized'. I believe I have posted here suggesting when you make a roux you dextrinize the flour first. This alters the starch molecules and makes for a silkier texture in a sauce/gravy and gives a slightly nutty flavor. Dextrinization also helps the flour to be easily digestible.

Thanks Puffin3. Now we have a name for it. It just makes sense. It would be a good way to get a head start when making a roux..

When it adds so much flavor to a dish by making a roux first, it could be used for much more than just gumbo, and the color of the sauce or gravy shouldn't matter when it adds so much flavor.

Last edited:

The biggest dance step along with the Two Step is the polka. :angel:

Flour that has been heated by itself until slightly browned or beyond slightly has been 'dextrinized'. I believe I have posted here suggesting when you make a roux you dextrinize the flour first. This alters the starch molecules and makes for a silkier texture in a sauce/gravy and gives a slightly nutty flavor. Dextrinization also helps the flour to be easily digestible.

Thanks I learned a new term!

I had seen your earlier post and thought I understood what you were saying, I was wrong! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

Reminded me of L. Ron Hubbard's advice about clearing words.

L. Ron Hubbard: Study Technology

Thanks I learned a new term!

I had seen your earlier post and thought I understood what you were saying, I was wrong! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

Reminded me of L. Ron Hubbard's advice about clearing words.

L. Ron Hubbard: Study Technology

I used to make my kids look up words. We had a huge dictionary. Really too big for school age kids. I would end up giving them the shortened meaning in the end. But at least they learned how to use a dictionary.

Today, you just have to type in part of the word and the rest shows up with the meaning that can be understood. :angel:

It's been really interesting learning about small-town life in North Carolina. I agree that her family connection helps a lot. I do like the openness and honesty she provides about the stresses of running now two restaurants in a small town.

We're going to Oak Island, NC, in July where my mom rented a house for us and other family members. We're going to try to arrange to have a meal there, probably on the way back since it's closed on Sundays and Mondays.

Chef & the Farmer

I'd love to hear what you think about it!

I'd love to hear what you think about it!

I will report back! :) We talked about it yesterday and decided to go down on Saturday, July 11 and spend the night; it's only about three hours from us. I checked their Facebook page and they have wine tastings on Saturdays from 2-5 p.m. We're also going to hit The Boiler Room for lunch. I was just reading reviews on Yelp and can't wait to try the Southern Poutine - pulled pork, gravy, cheese curds and french fries. :yum:

I was just watching "A Chef's Life" on PBS...
I love that show!
...We're going to Oak Island, NC, in July where my mom rented a house for us and other family members. We're going to try to arrange to have a meal there, probably on the way back since it's closed on Sundays and Mondays.
Chef & the Farmer
I checked the menu - pretty decent pricing, considering the offerings. Checked how a stop would fit in when we head back from FL this November - would add a total of about 50 miles, which is doable. It would be fun to stop, but we'd have to cool our heels somewhere along the way since I wanted to spend a day or two in Savannah on the way back and that "Closed Sunday/Monday" thing puts a wrench in the works. A lot depends on how flexible the budget is right then. Whatever we do, I'm definitely looking forward to your review of the restaurant. :yum:

Thank you powerplantop. Copied and pasted. I have been hunting for a good recipe for years. It will be placed in the locked file with the recipe of "How They Made The Appearance Of Being Beamed Up" on Star Trek.

I was thinking of trying to make it, but I was afraid anyone near me might get caught and sent into space.

Last edited:
Thank you powerplantop. Copied and pasted. I have been hunting for a good recipe for years. It will be placed in the locked file with the recipe of "How They Made The Appearance Of Being Beamed Up" on Star Trek.

I was thinking of trying to make it, but I was afraid anyone near me might get caught and sent into space.

LOL.

They have a great series on how to make traditional drinks. Love the series then for an April Fools joke they did this one.

Thanks PPO, I filed this away with my recipe for making ice!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom