Making Hot Sauce

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JoelM

Assistant Cook
Since I go through about a bottle a week, I've recently started making my own hot sauce. The general rule of thumb I've heard is 1 part salt for every 10 parts pepper mash, and then enough vinegar to make it the proper consistency. However, by following this method I end up with sauce that is saltier than what I care for; I'd like to use about half as much salt. What I would like to do is figure out the amount of vinegar that would be required to preserve the pepper mash and add salt to taste. What would you figure is the proper ration of vinegar to peppers? What about salt to peppers?

Joel:

I googled Hot sauce recipes and found a ton. You might want to do some research there to suppliment any responses you get on this site.

I googled hot sauce recipes prior to googling cooking forums :) Most of the recipes found from a web search are complicated and/or for very small batches. I currently have about a liter and a half of habanero pepper mash sitting in the fridge, so those certainly won't do. I don't want an exact recipe, though. I just want to figure out the minimum amount of preservative ingredients required to keep my sauce from spoiling.

Joel:

I thought you might be able to figure some pepper/vinega/salt ratios from the recipes. Sorry, that's all I have to offer. I'm still happy buying my hot sauce off the shelf.

My X-SIL takes 1 bottle of Victoria Hot Salsa and 2 cans of stewed tomatoes and and puts in a blender..makes a quick salsa and pretty good too.

ChuckD41

Home Made "HOt Sauce." I too make my own.

Ingredients:
About 40 habanero Peppers stemmed and halved
3 Large Onions, peeled and diced
2 quarts White Vinegar
12 Cloves of Garlic, peeled and minced

First...a warning. The fumes given off when making this hot sauce are not pleasant to breath. Use precautions.

Directions:
1. Put all of the above ingredients into a large non-reactive pan with a good tight-fitting lid. Put on heat and bring to a simmer. Cover the pan, and open the windows. Simmer for a couple of hours. Remove from heqt and allow to cool.
Note: you may need to add a little more vinegar if it is evaporating.:pig:

2. Working in batches, place the mixture in a food processor and process until you have a thick sauce.

3. Press the hot sauce mixture through a very fine strainer, pressing it through with the back of spoon. Discard the pulp.

4. There no preservatives in this hot sauce, so keep it in the refrigerator in a jar with a good tight lid. One batch usually lasts me for four to six months and the sauce seems to keep well in the refrigerator.

For the faint of heart, You can substitute milder peppers. I just happen to grwo my own Habaneros. I planted them to keep the pesky squirrels away from my pepper plants.

hot sauce peasant style

My husband and I spend a couple of days a year making a year's supply of our Volcano Sauce.. using five or six different varieties of ground dried peppers (pasillas, chiles de japan, chile de arbol, anchos, New Mexicos, negritos, cascabels, etc.), and several varieties of roasted and ground fresh peppers (Californias, anchos, bells, habaneros, gueros, jalapenos, tepines, pequines, etc.); with comal-roasted tomatoes, onions, garlic, and cumin seeds.. this all slow simmered in real apple vinegar then put up in scalded bottles*.

Nope.. it ain't easy. Easy is a nice molido sauce made from some ground hot peppers (eg. New Mexicos, japones, arboles, etc.) that you've roasted in a dry iron skillet** until lightly browned, then ground in a coffee grinder; combined with real apple vinegar (not "apple flavored" vinegar) and maybe some lime juice. Salt is up to you.. just taste as you go. I like to add garlic powder or roasted garlic too.. simple.

If you can get your paws on a can of chipotle peppers.. or the dried ones.. grind them up with vinegar in the blender for a lovely dark, smoky sauce. Don't worry about proportions.. you'll figure out what you like as you go along. I suggest making up a gallon or more and put it in a big glass jar or a bunch of smaller bottles, to age. It gets better over time. I have some select bottles of Volcano Sauce that go back into the '90s! We consider them vintages and pull them out for very special occasions.

*We use all kinds of bottles stoppered with wine corks. We boil the wine corks to soften them, then shove them into the bottle. We've kept hot sauce for years like this.. but vinegar and salt are great preservatives on their own.

**when you dry-roast chiles PUT ON YOUR EVACUATION FAN! OR BETTER YET.. DO IT OUTSIDE OVER YOUR CAMP STOVE.. The fumes are pretty harsh!

Back
Top Bottom