Mother Sauces and their Daughters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
For all of you new cooks who want to improve their meals dramatically, I invite you to take a look at my blog, lesson 77. It's all about the French Mother, or Grande Sauces, and their small/daughter/derivative sauces.

Sauces add rich flavor, and texture to foods. That yummy turkey gravy that you grandma made to go over mashed potatoes, or rice, is a small sauce of one of the Mother Sauces called Velute. Brown gravy, is a form of Espagnole sauce. And then there are all of the tomato based sauces. You get the idea.

The info given in my blog is to lengthy to be posted here on DC, in one post. So I invite you to go and take a look.:)

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

nope.

what is a "NOther sauce"?

typos are an issue - long standing problem with your posts.

#lesson 77?
seriously? you are in the wrong place, to flog your blog, here is not the best choice.

especially using typos/auto-correct/other excuses.
just imho.

dc... you don't HAVE to go there, please exercise a bit of decorum

Chief, thanks for the post, I've earmarked it to check it out. I'm sorely lacking in basic skills of the Mother Sauces, LOL - much less her daughters!

nope.

#lesson 77?
seriously? you are in the wrong place, to flog your blog, here is not the best choice.

just imho.
You must know that Chief has mobility issues that cause problems with typing. Have a little patience.

I also have issues with my eyes. As for flogging my blog, it is completely free. I get no income from it. I put things in it solely for the purpose of sharing what I know.

And yes, I try to correct my posts. I spend as much time correcting them as I do writing them. Occasionally, I miss something.

I only mentioned the blog lesson as the info in it is too large to put in a post on DC. I wanted to help those who may not know the Mother Sauces, or their derivatives, that might benefit from the info. There is no gain for me except to know that i am helping someone else.

If you notice, in the many, many years I've participated on DC, This is maybe the 2nd tie only that I mentioned the blog.

dcSaute, I'm sorry if you took exception to my post. I understand your concern.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

nope.

#lesson 77?

just imho.

You've been here long enough to know that the Chief is a long time, highly respected and loved member of this forum. We don't toss aside our good friends when when life hands them lemons. The Chief's medical issues may make posting difficult, but they in no way diminish his value to our community.

I took a newcomer to task privately once for this same issue, but you are not a newcomer. Don't be rude.

Medical issues or not, gotta show respect for each other. As long as the poster asks for legitimate advice or provides good info to spark a discussion , thats all thats important.

Half my posts are in the middle of the night due to lack of sleep. Tag that with the fact that I got 300 on my English SAT's , so I can assure you I have my share of spelling and grammar issues.

(Feel free to grammar and spell check my posts. I doubt Ill have a passing grade lol. And no matter how many times I'm told, I'll never remember the difference between affect and effect)

Thanks Chief for the info.

I think we have made our point about courtesy. I think anymore about that would be "dog piling".

Chief, I would be willing to proof read your posts before you post them, if you would like. We might even be able to get a small team that you can reach out to, depending on who's online at the time you want to post.

I think we have made our point about courtesy. I think anymore about that would be "dog piling".

Chief, I would be willing to proof read your posts before you post them, if you would like. We might even be able to get a small team that you can reach out to, depending on who's online at the time you want to post.
That might be a little cumbersome for the Chief. We could report a post for the purpose of asking a mod to make a correction.

That might be a little cumbersome for the Chief. We could report a post for the purpose of asking a mod to make a correction.

Yes, I agree. But, it might be worth it for some of the Chief's recipes. I wasn't really thinking of for replies. I hope the Chief weighs in with his preference.

Yes, I agree. But, it might be worth it for some of the Chief's recipes. I wasn't really thinking of for replies. I hope the Chief weighs in with his preference.
Ah, for the recipes, yes, that makes sense. I wasn't referring to replies, but I hadn't thought it through. I had a bad night and morning and just had my first cup of coffee lol

I'd be happy to help, too, if the Chief would like to do this.

To all, thanks for the support. I will put that little bit more effort into proof-reading my posts. I wasn't insulted by dcsautee. He pointed out some valid concerns. Like everyone else, I too need to learn from my mistakes, and present the best that I am able.

As for the blog complaint, as I'm not selling anything, I wasn't sure about the rules. in hindsight, I should have invited anyone interested in the sauces to send me a pm, and then shared the blog address with them.

Just because I've been on DC since it started, that doesn't mean I can break the rules.

So, I learned valuable lessons here, First, I have wonderful friends. The 2nd lesson; proofread better. Lastly, if I have a question about policy, ask the
mods.

Again, all of you are great, and cherished friends. Thank you.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I don't think you've broken any rules; you would have heard from a mod by now if you had - one of them has fixed the title, so at least one of them has seen this post. K'girl has mentioned her personal blog before and no one said anything about it. I think you're good [emoji2]

Last edited:
Thank you Chief. For computer challenged people, i.e. Me, how exactly do I get to your blog? I would love to read about MOther f..., I mean sauces and their relatives ;).
My wife loves sauces, but I can only make Bechamel, and regular gravy. Need to learn more.

Please post exact link, otherwise I'll never find.

Thank you in advance.

Thank you Chief. For computer challenged people, i.e. Me, how exactly do I get to your blog? I would love to read about MOther f..., I mean sauces and their relatives ;).
My wife loves sauces, but I can only make Bechamel, and regular gravy. Need to learn more.

Please post exact link, otherwise I'll never find.

Thank you in advance.
It's in his signature, but it doesn't show up on the mobile app. Here's the link: https://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/

Back
Top Bottom