Mustard dill sauce/powdered mustard?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

giggler

Sous Chef
our friend CWS43 mentioned a nice Nordic sauce I would like to try..

I googled several sites, it seems to be..

good grainy mustard
lots of dill
good oil
s&p to taste

but also Powdered Mustard.

I have a small can of S&D brand mustard that you mix with a bit of water use for dipping egg rolls.

This stuff is so hot it would probobly remove the paint from your car!

I have heard of Coleman's Brand mustard in a tin from Englnand...
but never tried..

What am I looking for here?

Thanks, Eric Austin Tx.

I use Colman's. I use 3:1 T oil to vinegar (white or apple cider), 1/3 tsp salt, some freshly groun pepper, 2-3 T dry mustard, 2-3 T sugar, 3-4 T finely chopped fresh dill. I put it all in a jar and shake it up.

I use Colman's. I use 3:1 T oil to vinegar (white or apple cider), 1/3 tsp salt, some freshly groun pepper, 2-3 T dry mustard, 2-3 T sugar, 3-4 T finely chopped fresh dill. I put it all in a jar and shake it up.

I concur with this.

Suggest using Colman's it is the best, You are in Texas? In OK I could get it at Reasors, it was in the 'ethinic food section' not with the regular spices. You can get the McCormick powdered mustard, but it is not the same thing. Hold out for the good stuff. Use apple cider vinegar, you can keep this in a bell jar for quite a while.

Anyway don't have much to add to CWS, I go more vinegar, and 1/4 tsp pepper at least, other than that, I think that recipe is same.

TBS

Changes listed first, matter of preference, but the same recipe.

1/4 tsp salt, 1/4 tsp ground pepper, 1 tbsp dry mustard, 1 tsp brown sugar, 1 tsp maple syrup, 3-4 tsp finely chopped fresh dill.

I go one to one oil to vinegar, generally use apple cider or some flavorful vinegar. If you only have white, back down to two to one.

decent oil, though if you are going one to one, use basic corn oil, flavors in the vinegar and spices will overcome the oil. might as well use the cheaper.

obviously these are all ingredients that we toy with for our tastes.

If you mean hovmästarssås or gravlax sauce, then the recipe is simple.

3 tablespoon Dijon mustard
1 tablespoon honey
1/8 teaspoon of salt
1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
a pinch pepper
100 ml oil, canola oil works great, it should with no strong flavour.
100 ml of fresh chopped dill

Add every thing but oil and dill to a bowl, whisk until combine, then slowly add the oil , keep whisking and keep slowly adding the oil until it thickens. Fold in the dill and you are done. I use a electric beater for this.

We have this for crab, smoked salmon and gravlax.

I done this recipe many times since my family comes from an area where every family has their " secret" grav lax recipe

Last edited:
Such a simple question and so many complicated answers.

Go to the place where your grocery store keeps the dried spices and look for dry mustard. That is powdered mustard.

DO NOT use dry mustard, you use wet mustard.

I'm Swedish,( born and living here) this is a sauce that is well known in Sweden and I been making it roughly for 33 years now. I do it at least once a year. I think I know the recipe

DO NOT use dry mustard, you use wet mustard.

I'm Swedish,( born and living here) this is a sauce that is well known in Sweden and I been making it roughly for 33 years now. I do it at least once a year. I think I know the recipe

The original poster was looking for a "Nordic" recipe. I imagine there are recipes other than yours that qualify.

GotGarlic: Well I ask the Dane, he had never heard of the sauce, the Norwegian said wet mustard. The Icelandic wasnt sure because she had never had it. My Finnish friends said that is a Swedish thing , but she would ask her aunt on Åland. So I asked the legal Sami freind and she said I use your recipe, so I havent gotten hold of Tati on the Faroe Islands and I dont know any one on Greenland.

So yes I might be wrong, sorry if I am. But CWS4322 said in another post that I might have good recipe.

GotGarlic: Well I ask the Dane, he had never heard of the sauce, the Norwegian said wet mustard. The Icelandic wasnt sure because she had never had it. My Finnish friends said that is a Swedish thing , but she would ask her aunt on Åland. So I asked the legal Sami freind and she said I use your recipe, so I havent gotten hold of Tati on the Faroe Islands and I dont know any one on Greenland.

So yes I might be wrong, sorry if I am. But CWS4322 said in another post that I might have good recipe.

I wasn't suggesting there was anything wrong with your recipe - just that it might not be the only one. Or maybe Eric is mistaken when he says Nordic. Or maybe it's actually Nordic-American; many immigrants to America modified the recipes they brought with them. I don't know. It sounds like you've investigated it pretty thoroughly, though ;)

The cookbook I have is from The Ladies Aux. of The Norwegian Seamen's Church in Montreal. The recipe calls or either wet (grainy) or dry mustard. Since the OP asked about dry mustard, I shared the recipe using dry mustard. For some reason, when I have had this in local restaurants, the sauce is made with mayo and wet mustard. I prefer the oil and vinegar version. I have made it both ways. I shake it to get it emulsified, it works for me.

My cousin puts buttermilk in his lefse recipe, we use heavy cream. Another friend uses 1/2 and 1/2. Like all recipes, there are many substitutions/options to achieve the consistency and flavour. The sugar and vinegar with the dill are what give this sauce, IMO, the distinctive Nordic flavour.

No mayo in Sweden, how ever the oil and vinegar makes a mayo like consistency. yes, it should be creamy.

I do have lot of food nerds from Swedish/Danish/ Norwegian forums, there is a lot of forums that lump us together, we mostly speak English with each other.

Last edited:
Is this an Ina Garten recipe by any chance? She always uses that term. If I ever met her, the second question I would ask her is "Why on earth would anyone choose to use bad ingredients?"

Martha Stewart used to always say to use the "very best" milk, chocolate, flour, etc. She started to get a lot of mail from home cooks that couldn't always afford the "very best." They had to settle for Hershey's Baking Chocolate vs. something from France. So she changed it to "the very best you can afford."

Martha Stewart used to always say to use the "very best" milk, chocolate, flour, etc. She started to get a lot of mail from home cooks that couldn't always afford the "very best." They had to settle for Hershey's Baking Chocolate vs. something from France. So she changed it to "the very best you can afford."
WoW! Talk about condescending.

Once you pay the Dane-guild you never get rid of the Dane...

I always thought dry mustard was a Brit thing. I like to use it in sauces like this because I find then the moisture content more controllable.

I'm not Martha Stewart, but I get best results from Coleman's mustard when I use dry. This might just be because I'm vaguely anglophile and think it comes in a cool tin, but I think it is worth a buck or two extra.

Oh yeah, a coleman mustard tin is the PERFECT size to put a bic lighter, a couple of petroleum jelly soaked cotton balls, and some broken in half tongue depressors, AKA quick fire starting kit for camping.

TBS

Last edited:
I always thought dry mustard was a Brit thing. I like to use it in sauces like this because I find then the moisture content more controllable.

I'm not Martha Stewart, but I get best results from Coleman's mustard when I use dry. This might just be because I'm vaguely anglophile and think it comes in a cool tin, but I think it is worth a buck or two extra.

Mustard has been used for millennia in many parts of Europe and Asia. Dry mustard is simply ground mustard seeds. The name derives from the French:
Why do we call it mustard?
"Mustard was originally made by mixing the roughly crushed hot-tasting seeds of various plants of the cabbage family with unfermented grap juice, or 'must'-- hence its name, which comes from Old French moustarde, a derivative of Latin mustrum, 'must.'"
---An A-Z of Food & Drink, John Ayto [Oxford University Press:Oxford] 2002 (p. 221)
http://www.foodtimeline.org/foodsauces.html#mustard

You might enjoy this page. I made the Dijon-style mustard for Christmas gifts last year. This year, after making the mustard, I made honey mustard using honey from our hives and jalapeño mustard using jalapeños from our garden.

http://www.seriouseats.com/2014/05/...dijon-brown-spicy-yellow-hot-whole-grain.html

Back
Top Bottom