Need help understanding types of soy sauce

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chubbs

Cook
So la choy is supposed to be one of the worst ones.I used the low sodium for a couple months.Opened a kikkoman original soy yesterday.Its ok,but the smell makes me think of a cooking wine.Even kinda tastes like it.Is this & original teriyaki better to cook with?I got a bottle of lee kum kee table top soy sauce I haven't opened yet.I seen another called double deluxe by it at the store.Same size,lil over double the price.

Since I learned low sodium soy is just watered down soy,i'm not buying it anymore.Just add equal part water to soy & their ya go.Saves money:).
What soys are better for a table sauce?

I like to buy different ones to check them out. I prefer the lighter ones. They tend to have more flavor before things get too salty and they don't turn everything so unappealingly black. The dark soy sauces are good as an ingredient in another sauce, but I find them too strong when poured directly on food.

I was thinking about soy sauce just today and went sniffing around "da webz" and came up with this one of the IMO best articles available:

Soy sauce - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Read the entire article. Take this advice from me, a guy who usually has several different kinds of soy sauce on hand all the time. There is no one kind of soy sauce that serves all needs.

Or anybody who is all concerned about sodium should just buy the green cap stuff.

I use a lot of Kikkoman for general soy sauce, use Healthy Boy (brand) Sweet Soy Sauce (Thailand) for barbecue and as one of the soy sauce combination for some of my Thai cooking. Then there's tamari and shoyu... It's complex.

chubbs said:
Since I learned low sodium soy is just watered down soy,i'm not buying it anymore.Just add equal part water to soy & their ya go.?

Truly? I had no idea! Huh.

Always Kikkoman low sodium. Maybe I need to get the regular and add water.

Last edited:
Try tamari, a Japanese type of soy sauce (not a brand name). In addition to having a slightly different flavor, it's usually wheat free so good for those with gluten allergies.

Hawaiian Shoyu is a lighter flavor and salt. You can get a giant bottle of it for few dollars in the ethnic section.

I have light, dark, and mushroom soy sauces (regular and sodium-reduced), teriyaki sauce (which is what my mom always used instead of soy), and sweet soy sauce in the condiment cupboard. I find I like the dark for cooking, as well as the mushroom. For more flavor, I use the teriyaki sauce. I too grew up on kikoman and the kind that is shown in the wiki article--not sure what that is, but I recognize the bottle when I see it.

Right now in MN my favorite soy sauce is Lee Kum Kee, you can get it in Cub foods. I do not know why you think La Choy is bad, I like it, Cannot stand Kikkoman for a life of me, I think it has achemical taste to it.

Back
Top Bottom