Need sauce ideas for fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dina

Executive Chef
I'm making a Hawaiian teriyaki basa for dinner. I'd like a sauce to go over it but don't have any white wine today. Is there a substitute for white wine, or any other sauce I can make for this fish without using wine? Ideas are greatly appreciated.

Dina said:
I'm making a Hawaiian teriyaki basa for dinner. I'd like a sauce to go over it but don't have any white wine today. Is there a substitute for white wine, or any other sauce I can make for this fish without using wine? Ideas are greatly appreciated.

You could use sake. But you don't need any alcohol to make teriyaki sauce. Just use equal parts soy sauce and simple syrup.

I was told that white grape juice can be substituted for white wine. Not sure what it would taste like with pineapple though.

Thanks guys. I researched at the last minute since I was rushed to cook the fish and came up with a combination of two sauce recipes.

Hawaiian Teriyaki Sauce

3/4 c orange juice
2 T olive oil
1/3 c soy sauce
2 T molasses
1/2 t ginger, minced
1/4 c sugar
1/2 t garlic, minced
3 scallions, finely chopped
1 t cornstarch with 4 tablespoons water to dissolve

Heat all ingredients except for corn starch for about 5 minutes. Add dissolved cornstarch and cook until the sauce thickens, about 3 minutes longer. Drizzle over Hawaiian Teriyaki fish (basa in my case). Serve over almond/mushroom risotto. Enjoy!

Last edited:
Dina said:
Thanks guys. I researched at the last minute since I was rushed to cook the fish and came up with a combination of two sauce recipes.

Hawaiian Teriyaki Sauce

3/4 c orange juice
2 T olive oil
2 T molasses
1/2 t ginger, minced
1/4 c sugar
1/2 t garlic, minced
3 scallions, finely chopped
1 t cornstarch with 4 tablespoons water to dissolve

Heat all ingredients except for corn starch for about 5 minutes. Add dissolved cornstarch and cook until the sauce thickens, about 3 minutes longer. Drizzle over Hawaiian Teriyaki fish (basa in my case). Serve over almond/mushroom risotto. Enjoy!

Where's the soy sauce?

Ironchef,
Just added it to the recipe. I was typing so fast last night I omitted it on the list of ingredients. Enjoy.

Dina, what exactly makes the basa Hawaiian Teriyaki? Just the sauce or did you marinate it?

Alix,
I marinaded the basa for a couple of hours. This is exactly what I used. It's a pretty wacko recipe!

On each fillet of fish I squeezed a dash of fresh orange juice, fresh mandarin juice (had citrus at hand so thought why not give it a twist with it), pineapple juice, teriyaki sauce and sprinkled them with ground ginger and garlic powder. Left them in the fridge for two hours and pan seared them in olive oil with a hint of sesame oil on low-medium heat for about 5 minutes on each side. Place them over hot almond mushroom risotto and drizzle the Hawaiian Teriyaki sauce over them and serve immediately.

Sounds really neat Dina. We had Wild West Salmon for dinner. It is killer. I don't know that the marinade I used would translate well to Basa or any other delicate fish though. Trout would be OK.

Last edited:
This is a terrific sauce for all kinds of seafood, especially shrimp and salmon
Ponzu sauce
2 TBS lime or grapefruit juice
2 TBS soy sauce
2 TBS orange or tangerine juice
2 tbs vegetable oil
2 TBS brown sugar
1/2 tsp (or more) Asian chile sauce
1 TBS grated ginger root
1 clove garlic, minced
1/4C chopped basil or cilantro

Alix,
Can I substitute anything for the whiskey? We ran out of it and we're down to tequilla, rum and brandy...EEK! Those probably wouldn't work, huh? Does the alcohol make the fish a bit milder? Is the flavor of trout pretty close to salmon? I'm a big fan of mild tasting fish like basa, cod and tilapia although I love tuna...WEIRD.

Gretchen,
Your Ponzu sauce sounds pretty good to me. Thanks for posting it. I've always wanted to try some Asian chile sauce. I'll make sure to get it next time.

Um...you could maybe use bourbon, but the brandy is too expensive to waste that way and the others have a very different flavour to them. Trout is similar to salmon in flavour. It is a stronger, oilier fish than the others you mention. We actually prefer that though. (OK all but Kate) For the milder fish (basa, pickerel etc) I just do them either in garlic butter, or sprinkle them with parmesan and drizzle olive oil on them and bake them in the oven. I'm boring I know. LOL

You're not boring. The simplest things are the best. I got me some salmon and tilapia today. Will be cooking the salmon with some kind of liquor and garlic butter, parmesan and olive oil for the tilapia.

Quick and Easy sauce for Tilapia

This is so simple and fast.. just stir it together and pour it over your fish before you cook it. I bake my tilapia with this.

Old Bay Butter Sauce

1/4 c white wine
1/4 c melted butter
1 tb old bay seasoning
1/2 ts tarragon leaves
1 lb fish

Sometimes I'm out of tarragon and this tastes just fine without it and I also sometimes swap the old bay for Cavenders, it's an all purpose greek seasoning I like.

the first thing that came to mind was "how about a nice italian cheese sauce and pasta?" :)

only kidding. i'm going home now...

Gretchen said:
This is a terrific sauce for all kinds of seafood, especially shrimp and salmon
Ponzu sauce
2 TBS lime or grapefruit juice
2 TBS soy sauce
2 TBS orange or tangerine juice
2 tbs vegetable oil
2 TBS brown sugar
1/2 tsp (or more) Asian chile sauce
1 TBS grated ginger root
1 clove garlic, minced