Need uses for this sauce

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pacanis

Chef Extraordinaire
A while back Selkie posted a recipe for Mexican white sauce
I made this last night for some fish tacos and it was very good, but now I've got all this sauce and no other uses for it. This is where you come in ;)
I'm not sure how long it will keep and would hate to throw it out in a week, but I don't really want fish (or chicken) tacos or wraps the next seven days either :LOL:
What other uses do you see for it?
Also, do you see a problem with cooking it, as in using it in a fatty?

You're always freezing something :LOL:
Seriously, you can freeze mayo based sauce? I don't want it to break down or anything.

I think either freezing it or cooking it will cause it to break. Would it work as a dip? How about as a sauce to compliment a rice dish - Spanish/Mexican rice. Or simply as a dipping sauce for bread.

I was thinking about rice, too, Andy, but you think it should not be cooked? How about gently warmed?
As far as the fatty, it would most likely be absorbed anyway. I was more worried about heating up the mayo and yogurt from a food safety aspect. Something in the back of my mind is telling me you can't cook mayonnaise.

I was thinking about rice, too, Andy, but you think it should not be cooked? How about gently warmed?
As far as the fatty, it would most likely be absorbed anyway. I was more worried about heating up the mayo and yogurt from a food safety aspect. Something in the back of my mind is telling me you can't cook mayonnaise.

Heating mayo or yogurt on it's own is not a safety issue. As I mentioned, it could be a texture issue.

mmm, those Huevos Rancheros sound good.

Boiled shrimp sauce. I like. Maybe a sauce for seared tuna steak, too. I think I'll pick up some shrimp today. Good one.

You're always freezing something :LOL:
Seriously, you can freeze mayo based sauce? I don't want it to break down or anything.

When you live alone and cook for one you have to freeze.

I really don't know if you can or can't freeze mayo based sauce, but if I couldn't come up with a use right away, I'd try it.:ermm:

When you live alone and cook for one you have to freeze.

I really don't know if you can or can't freeze mayo based sauce, but if I couldn't come up with a use right away, I'd try it.:ermm:

Yeah, I was just joshin' ya because you always seem to be buying, making and freezing stuff. I try like heck to get my leftovers eaten before I need to freeze them. Which is what I'm trying to do with this sauce :LOL:

I'm going to do a little shrimp boil tonight and use some for dipping.

Some people use mayonnaise as an ingredient in cakes, so I guess you could bake it into a casserole or something. :cool:

Not sure what kind of sauce it is, but Casa Ole has spinich enchiladas with a white sauce that is really good. Not sure if their sauce and yours are comparable, but you might try it.
Michael

Umm...salad shrimp, cooked pasta shells, some diced green onions, garlic, red bell pepper...chiles, if you have some...mix the sauce in for a quick mac and shrimp salad, serve it rolled on tortillas or stuff hard rolls with it.

Umm...salad shrimp, cooked pasta shells, some diced green onions, garlic, red bell pepper...chiles, if you have some...mix the sauce in for a quick mac and shrimp salad, serve it rolled on tortillas or stuff hard rolls with it.

You mean like a cold macaroni salad? Nice idea! That is definitely an idea that is unlike its original use. And the sauce won't need heated, so no chance of it breaking down. I might try this out tomorrow.

Great ideas everyone.

You know actually, several Indian dishes use a yogurt marinade. Although, the spices are not Indian spices I would think you could use it as a marinade for chicken and such.

Marinade. Good idea, too. I'll have to save a little and pull a chicken breast out of the freezer. These suggestions will pretty much kill a batch, which is just what I want.

And Bill, the dip for boiled shrimp was an excellent call.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom