Our Best Gravy for the Holidays

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I alternate between canned and homemade stock (or broth). This year I made my own for gravy and stuffing, but I probably won't next year. But who knows. :LOL:

Sorry chief, but I was kind of surprised to see this gravy thread posted as "perfect", especially since it was meant for less experienced cooks, as you said. Also, I didn't see anyone claim their turkey, dressing, or potatoes were 'perfect'. :) When I was a new cook it was a challenge to even make the roux, let alone making stock for gravy from scratch .:LOL:

The perfect part is simply meant to say that you can make the gravy that you like. That's why I gave multiple thickening agents, and techniques, to give the new cook something to work with.

Of course perfect is a very subjective word. There is no perfect gravy, only perfect for me, perfect for you, etc. We all have an expectation of how we want our food to taste, look, and even feel. I opened this thread not to state that my gravies and sauces were perfect, but to get the more seasoned cooks here to post their own favorite gravy recipe, be it from a jar, a packet, or making it from scratch. I just want us to share the wealth of knowledge. If perfect is the wrong word, maybe one of the ops can change the title to "Our Best Gravies and Sauces for Thanksgiving Day". I don't mind.

Please understand, I have learned much from this site. I simply wanted to give something back, and hopefully inspire others to do the same. In the spirit of thanksgiving, I'm thankful for what I know, and the help I've received along the way, and the help I'll certainly require in the future.

I request we forget about the word perfect, and submit something useful.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I don't think I have ever bought a jar of gravy. I do buy the gravy packets. Only for just myself. I will often get a hankering for gravy over toast. And those packets make just enough gravy for a couple of slices of toast. Something my mother often made for me. But a jar? For that much gravy, I will make my own from scratch. :angel:

The stuff from the jar is usually pretty bad. Every one that I've had has this odd flavor that I cannot identify for the life of me. The packets are better, and such an easy way to get a little gravy when there are no drippings around.

The stuff from the jar is usually pretty bad. Every one that I've had has this odd flavor that I cannot identify for the life of me. The packets are better, and such an easy way to get a little gravy when there are no drippings around.

So give us your favorite packet brand, and what you do to make gravy with it.

When I don't have any meat drippings I start by sauteing an onion or a small can of mushroom stems and pieces in butter, sprinkle in flour to make a roux, freshly ground black pepper and add "stock" made with powdered boullion in boiling water or hot milk. I taste it and add salt, if needed, at the very end. Sometimes I add a splash or soy sauce or Worcestershire sauce if I'm making "beef" gravy. No animals were harmed in the making of this gravy! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

I stopped buying canned stock after seeing a piece on America's Test Kitchen that explained the stock we buy is all made from reconstituted dehydrated powders. Now I use Goya packets if I can't make my own stock.

Last edited:
I'm totally with you there bakechef. Last year I did the whole nine yards with all the "falderol" of making my own stock ahead of time, and I could tell no difference in the ultimate outcome. There's no shame in leaving stock/broth making to experts, but that's just my opinion.

I'm with you both, too.

But I think homemade turkey stock makes a huge difference.

The absolute key to good gravy (and any pan sauce) is FOND. I roast up a half dozen turkey legs the day before just to collect more fond,

The absolute key to good gravy (and any pan sauce) is FOND. I roast up a half dozen turkey legs the day before just to collect more fond,
I'm fond of fond!

I also get good results from roasting the bones and carcasses - along with some of the veggies - in the oven before making stock with them. It really seems to bring out more flavor.

We're talking about two kinds of stock here: Basic stock where the meat and mirepoix are put directly into water for simmering, and brown stock where they are roasted before simmering. I prefer the richer, more caramelized flavor of the brown stock, so I make my own, because the commercial stocks aren't roasted first. They're good for some applications, and I always have Better than Bouillon on hand because it's much lighter (in weight), lasts longer, and imo tastes better than boxed or canned. But for Thanksgiving gravy, I want the brown stock.

And I agree with Jenny about the fond. I made my stock this year with turkey wings and will make more with the carcass (if my mom will give it to me ;) I don't think she'll want to make stock) to use for soups and stews later in the winter. But the brown stock is a primary key to a great-tasting gravy. I roasted the wings and mirepoix for about an hour; the veggies were done, but the wings weren't brown enough for me, so I put them in the toaster oven for another 1/2 hour. I don't boil it; I let it simmer for about four hours.

The other key is to cook the flour in the fat for a few minutes before adding the liquid, so you don't have a raw flour taste in the gravy. Use one of the methods mentioned earlier to make the gravy, season to taste with salt and pepper, and you're good to go. If you use a brown stock, there will be no need to boost the flavor with any other additives.

Attachments

• 2014-11-19 14.37.28.jpg
    2014-11-19 14.37.28.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 205
  • 2014-11-19 15.55.12.jpg
    2014-11-19 15.55.12.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 201
  • 2014-11-20 14.10.16.jpg
    2014-11-20 14.10.16.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 195
  • 2014-11-20 15.36.41.jpg
    2014-11-20 15.36.41.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 212
  • turkey stock.jpg
    turkey stock.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 197
Last edited:
Whoa, 70, Andy! And Kayelle, you sure don't look your age!

I'm wondering if I should bring gravy to my cousin's dinner. It would have to start from stock in a box. I have no drippings, as the turkey will be cooked by her BIL. But from recalling the last 3 years, none of these folks know how to cook, and everything is so bland and tasteless. And gluten-free. Love 'em anyway.

I would. You can add the drippings, minus the fat, when you get there. It will be nice for everyone to have something delicious to put on the rest of the food ;)

I will soon be 70

:shock:

Thanks GW for this thread. I have always avoided making gravy. On Monday I roasted a turkey and made gravy from the drippings, before I found this thread. I thought it turned out okay, but will try roasting parts before the main feast to make more fond.

I don't know what the pricing is like in other parts of the US, but where I shop, turkey parts such as wings and drumsticks are much more expensive than a whole turkey. Two trays of turkey parts (a couple of wings and drumsticks in each) costs as much as a 10-pound frozen turkey! That's why I buy the whole turkey, save the breasts and thighs for another day and use the rest for stock and gravy.

I paid about $5 for three pounds of wings. It's worth it to me. Maybe next year, I'll try the whole turkey. I actually never thought of it before.

I use the fat drippings for the roux and homemade stock with the remaining drippings for gravy.
Using the turkey fat for roux seems to fortify the gravy.

I paid about $5 for three pounds of wings. It's worth it to me. Maybe next year, I'll try the whole turkey. I actually never thought of it before.

It's a financial savings but a commitment to bone the whole turkey so you can use the meats and parts separately.

It's a financial savings but a commitment to bone the whole turkey so you can use the meats and parts separately.

Did you bone it, or just break it down? DH can break it down for me ;) His mom worked at a butcher shop for a while when he was growing up, so he learned a few tricks. He taught me how to break down a chicken. A turkey, though, I'll leave to him.

Did you bone it, or just break it down? DH can break it down for me ;) His mom worked at a butcher shop for a while when he was growing up, so he learned a few tricks. He taught me how to break down a chicken. A turkey, though, I'll leave to him.

I removed the two breast halves from the carcass and wrapped them individually for freezing. I boned the two thighs and wrapped them for freezing. The rest, I just broke down. Crushed the carcass/backbone, removed the wings. Made pieces small enough to fit nicely in the stockpot.

So I end up with the central carcass, thigh bones, drumsticks, wings and the turkey goodies bag all for making stock. I roasted these parts with mirepoix veggies and garlic then made stock. I simmer the stock for 5-6 hours.

So give us your favorite packet brand, and what you do to make gravy with it.

My store offers McCormick. I just checked and looked to see what I have on hand. I forgot about the packet of Swedish Meatballs. I love them. Time to use it for supper this week. I have brown gravy, mushroom gravy, white sauce and a couple of others presently on hand. Now I need to get me some bread for the toast. YUM! Thanks Mom for leaving me with great memories. :angel:

I don't know what the pricing is like in other parts of the US, but where I shop, turkey parts such as wings and drumsticks are much more expensive than a whole turkey. Two trays of turkey parts (a couple of wings and drumsticks in each) costs as much as a 10-pound frozen turkey! That's why I buy the whole turkey, save the breasts and thighs for another day and use the rest for stock and gravy.

It's the same here as the turkeys are used as a loss-leader to get you in and by the more expensive sides that go with the turkeys. I always purchace multiple turkeys, usually at different stores as most say one per customer.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I personally haven't cooked a turkey for the 20 years. But most of those years I can honestly say I usually have a turkey in my freezer. My daughter or other member of the family will buy a whole turkey and put it in my freezer only because they already have one in their own freezer. I know a lot of folks who will purchase a turkey when they are on sale, and will put them on the grill during the summer. I have cut up more than one turkey for my daughter over the years. I taught her at a very young age about making stock for use at a later time. But if my memory serves me right, I seem to be the one who makes it so I will have room for her purchase. Somehow my good intentions at times seems to come back and bite me.

At least once a summer we have a turkey meal cooked on the grill in the yard. And the cost per pound is usually less than around this time of year. :angel:

I have been making gravy with red wine I like to drink. Separately I chop mushrooms very finely and saute with lots of onion and seasoning. By the time they are done, you cannot tell that those were mushrooms, my wife hates mushrooms but loves the gravy when I make it like this. Then I fold this mixture into my gravy and just make sure to adjust the thickness of it.

P.S. I am not going to comment on the price of kosher turkey, as the price of it is crazy.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom