Pasta sauce tangy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

legend_018

Head Chef
I'm hoping i'm using the correct adjective. i'm trying to tell if the sauce is too tangy or too sweet. this is what i did.

1. took real tomatoes and boiled them a little so i could peel the skins off.
2. squished them all and threw them in a pan and cooked for a few minutes.
3. used a strainer and separated the pulp from the juice.
4. cooked the juice on stove for a few hours letting it thicken a little and reduce. it never really got REAL thick, but it did reduce and thicken a little. it probably reduced by half at least.
5. in separate pan cooked up some onions, garlic and carrot. Added both the pulp, 2 tablespoons of tomatoe paste and the cooked juices and brought to boil. simmer for 5 minutes or so.
6. added salt, pepper and put all in food processor
7. strained it through strainer again which caught all the seeds - resulting in a smooth and fairly thick sauce.

To add to my very short response, different people have different preferences. I tend to prefer a tangier sauce, while a lot of people seem to prefer sweet sauces (which is why I don't care for many Italian dishes in restaurants). I know that a lot of people add sugar to balance out the acidity. It really just depends on your personal preferences.

:)Barbara

The tomatoes can vary causing different degrees of sweetness/tartness.

If the sauce is too acidic, I believe your best bet is to neutralize some of the acidity rather than trying to mask it with a sugar.

If tomatoes are too acidic, add the smallest pinch of baking soda to the pot. That will break down the acid in the tomatoes and change the flavor of the sauce to be less acidic. Remember to just use the tiniest amount.

Another thing to consider is the brand of canned tomato you buy. Some are more acidic than others. For example, I think Muir Glen Organic Tomatoes are very acidic and refuse to use them.

I realize you are using garden tomatoes. Romas are the best for sauce. Others can be too acidic.

The tomatoes can vary causing different degrees of sweetness/tartness.

If the sauce is too acidic, I believe your best bet is to neutralize some of the acidity rather than trying to mask it with a sugar.

If tomatoes are too acidic, add the smallest pinch of baking soda to the pot. That will break down the acid in the tomatoes and change the flavor of the sauce to be less acidic. Remember to just use the tiniest amount.

Another thing to consider is the brand of canned tomato you buy. Some are more acidic than others. For example, I think Muir Glen Organic Tomatoes are very acidic and refuse to use them.

I realize you are using garden tomatoes. Romas are the best for sauce. Others can be too acidic.
I agree!

:)Barbara

thanks for the tips. As far as anything sweet, there is already a carrot in the sace - although it was just a small carrot.

when i reheat the sauce - I will try a pinch of baking soda.

What seems to be missing in the recipe you posted is any sort of other herbs and spices. The sauce would be pretty bland for my taste. Try adding Basil, Oregano, Thyme, etc.

What seems to be missing in the recipe you posted is any sort of other herbs and spices. The sauce would be pretty bland for my taste. Try adding Basil, Oregano, Thyme, etc.

i was going to add some when I reheated. Would this change it from tasting extra tangy?

i was going to add some when I reheated. Would this change it from tasting extra tangy?

It shouldn't. However, the added flavors may change your perception of the acidity. Add the herbs and cook them into the sauce then taste to determine if you still want the baking soda.

Tomato juice doesn't like to be boiled. IHMO, boiling gives it a funky taste. Save it to use in soup.

ok I must be reading something wrong. The juice from the tomatoes is what is cooked and simmered down/reduced to make the pasta sauce. with out the tomatoes, there wouldn't be any sauce. It's similar to using the canned stuff - it's just real tomatoes. which, i know many others make pasta sauces out of real tomatoes. i guess i'm confused by saying to use the tomatoe juice in a soup.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom