Pepper Sauce/Paste?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JGDean

Sous Chef
I have some Habaneroes and Bird peppers growing in pots. Right now I am simmering what I am calling Jude's Conglomeration on the stove. I beleive it's destination is to be on chicken wings. Does anyone have recipe suggestions for these types of peppers?

Odette's Hot Sauce

20 Mixed red chilies seeded and chopped
3 large onions chopped
1tsp of ground paprika
1/2 tsp of cayenne pepper
1/2 cup of white grape vinegar

Simmer onions and chilies in just enough boiling water to cover till tender. Add paprika, cayenne and vinegar and simmer for 5 more minutes. Remove from heat and blend until smooth. Bottle while still hot and seal. Once cooled keep in the fridge and shake daily for 3-5 days. Enjoy as you would Tabasco or any other hot sauce.

Here's a sauce that goes great with wings or any other food that you would consider putting a Caribbean Style hot sauce on:

Tim's Caribbean Hot Sauce

1 ripe papaya (peeled and seeded)
8 ounces of pineapple chunks
1 large white onion
3 garlic cloves
4 to 10 Habanero peppers (4 equals moderate heat if placenta is omitted...see note below)
1/3 cup dark Rum
1/3 cup fresh lime juice
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons of honey
1/8 teaspoon cardamom
1/8 teaspoon anise
1/8 teaspoon cloves
1/8 teaspoon turmeric
1/8 teaspoon white pepper
Pinch of nutmeg
Pinch of cinnamon

Combine all of the ingredients in a blender or food processor and puree just until it's smooth.

Using the stove-top, heat blended sauce until simmering and continue simmering for 30 minutes.

Allow to cool and then jar and refrigerate. The sauce will last in the fridge for about 6-8 weeks.

Makes about 3 cups.

NOTE: For those who don't know this about hot peppers, the majority of the heat in a pepper comes from the placenta that is attached to the seeds and the "vanes" within the pepper. If the vanes or partitions in the pepper are removed along with the seeds, the pepper rinsed and then only the outer shell of the pepper used, it will have substantially less heat than if those parts are included in the sauce. This is a "flavor vs. heat" variant for this sauce.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom