Pesto consistency question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

larry_stewart

Master Chef
Is there a proper pesto consistency or is it just a matter of preference ( which i guess ultimately it is)?

When I make it, it always has a little grittiness to it, which I don't mind. But it seems that the only way for me to achieve a real smoothness would be to add more oil, but then it would be too liquidy for me.

Ive always had it as a little gritty, so to me thats normal. That being said, I've only had my own, so I 'm curious of the consistency of others.

Thanks,

I'm assuming the grittiness comes from the under processed nuts. How about if you processed the nuts first with a little oil and ground them into a finer paste then added the other ingredients.

Mine is always a little gritty because the pine nuts aren't completely pulverized. If I'm going to use it on pasta, I add more oil to thin it.

I say make it like you want it. I like making my pesto in a mortar and pestle. I like a bit of texture. I add extra whole pine nuts after blending and extra lemon. Personal taste.

We used toasted Pepitoes. I like toasted walnuts and a bit of walnut oil, the rest a light EVOO. I am allergic to pinenuts. I only use the leaves, no stems. I pulverize the nuts or seeds first. Also like toasted hazelnuts (when I have the patience to remove the skins). I use hazel nut oil, almonds get a bit of almond oil. I do sometimes brighten it with a bit of lime. I like it as a spread on fresh pita bread and roasted chicken or garden fresh tomatoes and cucumber for a sandwich. I use it on fish (usually salmon) or on grilled eggplant at the end. I don't do pasta, but used to toss rigatoni with grilled eggplant, tomatoes, pesto, topped with more cheese.greek black olives and some fresh basil and some of the toasted nuts.

Last edited:
Tradtionally, Ligurian / Genovese Basil Pesto is served with:

A pasta called: Trenette ..

The dish is called Trenette with Pesto, Potatoes & Green Beans ..

I suggest that the pine nuts are dust fine in texture .. However, Pesto I have never seen, silky smooth Pesto ..

Larry,

I have never had a silky smooth creamy Pesto in Genoa or Portofino, Liguria.

Here is my formula:

1 cup of 2 bunches of fresh basil
1 / 2 Cup Italian Evoo
6 tblsps of Pecorino sheep cheese cured aged from Sardinia
6 tablsps of Reggiano Parmesano ( cow cheese )
1 / 4 Cup of pinenuts toasted

2 tsps garlic minced

Put all in the Food Processor except the Evoo.
Drizzle in a slow stream, the Evoo.

Have a lovely day.

Last edited:
This is the one I learned. Pesto alla Genovese is something everyone round here makes, and I find this works very well. In Liguria it's spectactually good, mind you, I've never found basil as good as it is there, and we're lucky to buy it as it comes more or less 80 miles away, on the Ligurian coast. The olives are also particularly good too, and the EVOO is light and fruity. The area is noted for the quality of its vegetables - I've certainly never tasted tomatoes like the ones they produce! Anyway back to the thread:

A bunch of basil, the equivalent of a medium-sized lettuce, washed and patted dry.
3 large cloves of garlic
90 - 100 grams aged Sardinian Pecorino, or 80g Pecorino Sardo and a small amount of Formaggio Parmiggiano (aged)
15g pine nuts, or to taste. You can leave this out if you like.
Light and fruity EVOO
Adjust consistency and flavour with EVOO

Reduce the ingredients until you get a fairly, but not totally smooth paste. It should have some texture.

One dish I like serving to guests is bruschetta (toasted rustic bread) topped with tomatoes, mozzarella all mixed together with pesto.

It's certainly easier to put everything in the blender and do it that way, however I personally find the results to be more satisfactory using a mortar and pestle. It's very good in a minestrone, plain pasta, gnocchi, tortelli and tortelloni.

di reston

Enough is never as good as a feast Oscar Wilde

Back
Top Bottom