Proper time to salt tomato sauce ( if any)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

larry_stewart

Master Chef
I ve been making tomato sauce ( for pasta) forever. Ive never really given it much thought, but does it make any difference, whatsoever, when you add the salt??

Better in the beginning than adjust at the end ?
Add throughout the cooking process as you taste it ?
Add at the end ??
Doesnt make a difference at all?

I dont really follow a recipe, i just kinda wing it every time, but I do know that in many recipe, adding certain things at certain times throughout the cooking process could affect the flavor.

I usually season at the beginning when I'm sweating the onion (and any other veggies) and again when all the ingredients are in the pot to begin the cooking process. Adjusting at the end is the final step.

Here is another vote for Andy's method. However you could be successful doing it many other ways too. The only thing you really need to watch is that as the sauce cooks it concentrates so the earlier you put salt in the saltier it will taste the longer it cooks. As long as you keep that in mind so you don't over-salt then you will be fine.

... you really need to watch is that as the sauce cooks it concentrates so the earlier you put salt in the saltier it will taste the longer it cooks. As long as you keep that in mind so you don't over-salt then you will be fine.

I agree 100%! Salting at the beginning can be risky and be an avoidable mistake.

I usually season at the beginning when I'm sweating the onion (and any other veggies) and again when all the ingredients are in the pot to begin the cooking process. Adjusting at the end is the final step.

Same here, you absolutely need to add salt in the begining, when sweating onions.

Who is to say you won't Over salt at the end, at least if that happens in the begining you can still add more, say tomatoes, or whatever it is you're making. Not so easily done at the end.

Back
Top Bottom