Red Wine in Spaghetti/tomato Sauce?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I like to drink this very sweet red wine, and that is what I use in my meat sauce. Kind of kills two birds with one stone. Because it is sweet I do not have to add sugar to kill acidity, but that's just me. You see to each it's own. I hate dry wine. Can't stand it.

In my "neck" of the woods that statement would cause an uproar:ROFLMAO:
The country store down the road is fully stocked with all flavors of Boones:LOL:

Several of our friends, my hubby and I used to pass around a bottle or two of Boone's while sitting around the campfire at the campground we stayed all summer. We had no class, but we had one heck of a lot of fun. Can't drink that wine today and certainly can't pass the bottle around. Too bad we grew up. :(

Several of our friends, my hubby and I used to pass around a bottle or two of Boone's while sitting around the campfire at the campground we stayed all summer. We had no class, but we had one heck of a lot of fun. Can't drink that wine today and certainly can't pass the bottle around. Too bad we grew up. :(

You had class - - - just like me - - - - we had a LOT of class - - - - it was just all "low" :LOL::LOL: awwwwww - those were the days!

I was trained to use red wine in most pomodoro based sauces, but now I prefer to use white wines. IMO it brings out a much better flavor with the tomatoes, as long as you're not using a white wine that has a high acidity. Two key liquid ingredients that I use when making a tomato based pasta sauce are white wine and chicken broth/stock. The combination of the two give the sauce a very well rounded and balanced flavor, while also adding some savoriness and I guess what could be called umami to the sauce.

I was trained to use red wine in most pomodoro based sauces, but now I prefer to use white wines. IMO it brings out a much better flavor with the tomatoes, as long as you're not using a white wine that has a high acidity. Two key liquid ingredients that I use when making a tomato based pasta sauce are white wine and chicken broth/stock. The combination of the two give the sauce a very well rounded and balanced flavor, while also adding some savoriness and I guess what could be called umami to the sauce.

I'll bet that tastes good, but that is very un-Italian!

I'll bet that tastes good, but that is very un-Italian!

LOL that's true, but I guess that's why I like it because it doesn't taste like a traditional Italian pomodoro. It brings something different to the table. But I won't use the chicken stock if making something like linguine al vongole. For something like arrabiata I will.

I tried Lambruco a few months ago, can't figure out why I liked it, too sweet and watery, Lancer's almost the same, I guess I have grow up taste wise.

Riunite is the brand of Lambrusco. Wouldn't have remembered that name in a million years. We did a lot of Lancers' too in that little funny looking brown bottle. Ummm, I wasn't a kid. :LOL: Anybody remember Boones Farm? That's when we were poor and had no class. LOL. Two bottles for $4.50.

I remember Boone's Farm for $.99

When I make my standard big old pot of red sauce I don't add wine. Only when making other types of sauce. I do drink the wine, however, while making it.

oh noo whine is not to be put into any spaghetti sauce,neither ketchup is good for this purpose,I am sorry,for a delicious spaghetti sauce you may gather in a pan smoked bacon,onions,olive oil,green olives,chopped tomatoes, chilly,or paprika powder,everything chopped and fried for at least 15 minutes untill the sauce is well cooked.

I don't know about Milano, but in Rom everybody I saw, were using canned tomatoes. Which tomatoes are you talking about?

In summer time we use to buy riped tomatoes in shops and we use to chop them for our pasta sauces,otherwhise we prepare tomatoe sauce by boiling tomatoes and pouring the sauce into glass bottles, plus basil leaves, in order to use this sauce in winter,nevertheles we also buy tomatoes all year long and if we have time we chop fresh riped tomatoes,if not,we buy canned tomatoes,the sauce is much more tasty if you make it,of course,canned tomatoes are not tasty at all... I am sorry...

I am sorry,I forgot an S: nevertheless
and tomato is without E at the end..

Arwen - while I don't know about the quality of your canned tomatoes in Milan, here in the U.S. we can get canned tomatoes of outstanding quality. Quality that frequently surpasses that of fresh. Surprisingly, many of those outstanding-quality canned tomatoes are imported from Italy, so I can only assume that you're simply not shopping in the right markets.

In addition, adding red wine (or even white for that matter) to pasta sauces didn't originate in the U.S. - it originated in ITALY. So again I have to question where your sources have mandated "no red wine" in pasta sauces.

oh noo whine is not to be put into any spaghetti sauce,neither ketchup is good for this purpose,I am sorry,for a delicious spaghetti sauce you may gather in a pan smoked bacon,onions,olive oil,green olives,chopped tomatoes, chilly,or paprika powder,everything chopped and fried for at least 15 minutes untill the sauce is well cooked.

No wine is spaghetti sauce?? You're kidding, right? I can't even imagine sauce without wine. And I don't know of any full blooded Italian that makes this sauce without it. I think it adds a tremedous amount of flavor and body.

I am glad to hear that your tomatoes are good,however I use my own tomato sauce and trust me,it is really tasty,the right market as you mention,sell canned tomatoes of course but my homemade sauce is really special,trust me.
I suppose you are not trying to be offensive,I wouldn't care anyway...
I also assert that adding whine in a spaghetti sauce is really disgusting,neither Italian chef,nor common people would eat this,trust me.

I like a little wine in the sauce. If I am making a meat sauce, after I fry the meat I will deglaze with the wine and add it all to the sauce.

Any descent wine will work, remember if you won't drink it, don't cook with it.

wine without "h".
PS the bloody Italians you are referring to, prefer drinking wine or using it for meat dishes,for instance,for risotto ( risotto with mushrooms requires white wine) and in many other recipies but NOT IN SPAGHETTI SAUCES.
No matter at all... if you like keep on pouring wine in spaghetti sauces.

Back
Top Bottom