Reduction Sauce ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SusanaGo24

Assistant Cook
Hi All !!!

I am wanting to make an apple juice reduction sauce for my pork chops.

My question is : Is the liquid in the pan supposed to be bubbling to get the thick consisteny I want ? Or as long as there is the steam/vapor it will get thick?

Everytime i try a reduction it seems to take forever and it never gets thick enough, am i not heating enough?
I dont want to burn it...

Any help anyone can give will be greatly appreciated

Sus~ :D

Reduction does take a long time, be patient :) - if you're just using apple juice, you may not get a lot of thickening by itself, like you would if you reduced a meat stock. I've done a lot of fruit juice reductions, and after I get the 'taste' I want in the reduction itself, I just add a little cornstarch slurry to the boiling mixture to thicken it a little. Go easy - a little cornstarch goes a long way!

you need to start off with a lot of liquid to get the proper amount of reduction that you'll need. Reduce 4-6 cups of juice to get the syrup. If you start off with just 1-3 cups, you'll have almost nothing by the time it properly reduces. Bring it to a boil, then reduce the heat to medium. No cornstarch is necessary if you do it this way, and you keep the integrity of the reduction pure.

Woo-Hoo!

IronChef, I most totally agree!

You need a TON of starting mixture and a "life of patience" to do this right, but if you do so, the acids tenderise things so well, and the meat and the sweet just get out there and "greet", and the result passes "neat"...

(Okay the USA election is on, and I merely paraphrase the reporters on air!)

But the results can be outstanding, so the next step is what you can "bind" this result to, so the veggies add to it...

Lifter

Well, guys, I've been doing fruit reduction sauces for years, 'meticulously' simmering on the stove, and very few of them thicken. JMHO! ;)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom