Remoulade: chopped boiled eggs?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jpinmaryland

Sous Chef
Do any of you use them in your remoulade? I know I've posted my own version of remoulade somewhere here but I found a recipe that uses chopped eggs. Do any of you use them in your remoulade? What effect does it have?

I don't use eggs in mine, but then I don't make a traditional remoulade either. Are the eggs in the recipe you saw chopped or blended into the sauce? If it's blended, then it would serve to thicken and flavor the sauce. If it's just chopped and folded in then I guess it would be just for flavor. It probably would give the sauce a slight similarity to an egg salad sandwich.

Do you blend your remoulade or do you fold together the chopped/minced ingredients? I prefer to blend mine to get all of the flavors mixed and permeating throughout the sauce.

I cant remember now but it may have been from the Joy of Cooking Book I was reading the other day. Am pretty sure they were using hard boiled eggs which leads to my first question:

If they were chopped hard boiled eggs, wouldnt they have to be just chopped into the sauce? can you really blend them if they are hard boiled?

My remoulade I start with mayo, mustard and a chile sauce and blend them along with capers, onions, worcestshire and probably some other stuff I am forgetting. pretty much a blend I guess, I posted the recipe somewhere.

My first instinct was to say remoulade doesn't contain eggs, jp. But here's the recipe for remoulade from my Picayune Creole Cook Book (1922 edition):

Sauce Remoulade (cold)

3 hard boiled eggs
1 raw yolk of egg
1 tablespoonful of tarragon vinegar
3 tablespoonfuls of olive oil
1/2 clove garlic, minced very fine
1/2 teaspoonful of prepared mustard
salt and cayenne to taste

A Remoulade is a cold sauce, and is always served with cold meats. Boil the egss till hard. Remove the shells and set aside the white, which you must later crumble fine for a garnish.

Put the yolks into a bowl, mash very fine, till perfectly smooth, add the mustard and mix well, and the seasonings of vinegar and salt and cayenne to taste. Then add the olive oil, drop by drop, working in the egg all the time, and then add the yolk of the raw egg, and work in thoroughly until light.

Then add the juice of half a lemon. Mix well, increasing the quantities of oil or vinegar, according to taste, very slightly. If the sauce is not thoroughly mixed, it will curdle. It is now ready to be served with cold meats, fish, or salads.

A green remoulade is made in exactly the same manner as the above, only it is colored with the juice of spinach or parsley, using about two tablespoonfuls of either.

(The recipe does not explain how to make spinach/parsley juice)

the old fashioned recipe is similar to Emerils. I like the tarragon vinegar, I think I saw that somewhere.

personally I like to include the capers and worcestshire, just gives it that added bite.

Hey I use mine on fish patties, does that violate the cold meat rule?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom