Roux based sauce

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kbreit

Cook
I am looking to cook a roux based sauce tomorrow night. When I search, most of what I find is gumbo when it comes to roux recipes. Don't get me wrong, I love gumbo. But I made it last week. Can anyone suggest any roux based sauces (or general recipes with roux in it)? Thanks!

Start with a roux and add milk - you have a bechamel or white sauce.

Add cheese and you have a mornay or cheese sauce.

Add chicken broth to the roux instead of the milk and you have a veloute.

You can also season any of these sauces with added flavors.

I make a roux-based mushroom sauce that I put over noodles, toast, anything actually. I just saute the sliced mushrooms in the butter, add the flour and cook down for a minute, add some chicken stock until smooth and then add milk until the right consistency. I season with thyme, salt and pepper and it is really versatile.

Thanks for all the replies everyone...

I tried the Mornay sauce last night and I had the measurements off so it became really really thick. I also didn't have enough cheese so it tasted like flour, not cheese. I will attempt again though.

A mushroom sauce? Now we're cooking with gas. That maybe on the docket tonight. Mac and cheese is a good idea too.

And that Cajun web site, that'll keep me busy for hours. I like how they break it out into category. I can't wait to dive into some of those recipes.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom