Roux with cake flour

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So I was braising some port butt the other day and when it came time to thicken the braising liquid I remembered that I was out of AP flour so I grabbed a box of cake flour. Well, I don't know if it was the lower protien or the higher starch but it was the smoothest roux thickened gravy/sauce I've ever made! Super velvety and smooth blonde roux, just amazing, I can't wait to produce some more pan drippings so I can try to duplicate the results. Y'all have any differing or similar experiences? :chef:

I've never used cake flour for cooking -- just baking. I do often use Wondra instant flour. IMO much better for making sauces and gravies.

Next time I'm making gravy I'll use cake flour and see how it turns out.

Last edited:
Michael Cook said:
So I was braising some port butt the other day and when it came time to thicken the braising liquid I remembered that I was out of AP flour so I grabbed a box of cake flour. Well, I don't know if it was the lower protien or the higher starch but it was the smoothest roux thickened gravy/sauce I've ever made! Super velvety and smooth blonde roux, just amazing, I can't wait to produce some more pan drippings so I can try to duplicate the results. Y'all have any differing or similar experiences? :chef:

Mike, please explain why would there be starch in the cake flour. It is my understanding that cake flour is simply a lower protein wheat flour.

Andy M. said:
Mike, please explain why would there be starch in the cake flour. It is my understanding that cake flour is simply a lower protein wheat flour.
I dunno why, just something I once heard Alton Brown say on the tellie.

Michael Cook said:
I dunno why, just something I once heard Alton Brown say on the tellie.

I guess I missed that episode. My cake flour box lists flour and some misc. stuff that makes it an enriched flour.

Back
Top Bottom