RQST: Pesto sauce

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Consul

Senior Cook
I tried hunting around this site and others, and I can't find a good basic pesto sauce recipe. My basil plants are going like gangbusters and I need some way to use them up. :chef:

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

here's tyler florence's

2 cups fresh basil
1 cup fresh Italian parsley
1/2 cup Parmesan or romano cheese, grated
1/2 cup pine nuts, toasted
4 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1/2 cup olive oil
1 tablespoon lemon juice
2 tablespoons water

Combine all ingredients in a food processor or blender. Puree until the mixture forms a smooth, thick paste.

Pesto

2 C Basil Leaves (packed)
1/4 C Pine Nuts
2 Garlic Cloves
1/2 C Olive Oil
Parmesan Cheese
Salt

Puree the basil, pine nuts and garlic in a food processor.

Gradually add the oil while the food processor continues to run.

After processing, mix in the cheese and any added salt.

Additional oil may be added to adjust the texture.

AndyM's is the closest recipe to the one I make. I don't measure all that specifically, I just keep going til it LOOKS right.

When you go to serve the pesto, I have found that a little bit of cream stirred in with the pesto makes for a much smoother flavour.

Alix said:
AndyM's is the closest recipe to the one I make. I don't measure all that specifically, I just keep going til it LOOKS right.
I totally agree with this. I am the same way. My ingredients are the same, but I don't measure. The only thing I would add here is that I toast my pine nuts first.Just until you start to smell them. This really brings out the flavor.

I actually do not make mine in a food processor though. I use a mortar and pestle. It is a lot more work, but I find it is worth it (for me). I like the consistency I get and I find it easier to see what I need more of as I am slowly mashing it all up.

Andy M. said:
Pesto

1/4 C Pine Nuts
2 Garlic Cloves
1/2 C Olive Oil
Parmesan Cheese
Salt

This is the way I do mine also (and we all have an except lol) except I put a sqeeze of lime in mine - gives it a nice bright flavor. Alix - just slather your pesto on top of goat cheese topped with fresh roasted red peppers - that smooths it out too :mrgreen:

I usually end up adding some extra olive oil when its in the pan if I use it on a pasta - but the cream sounds pretty good too.

Alix said:

When you go to serve the pesto, I have found that a little bit of cream stirred in with the pesto makes for a much smoother flavour.
Alix, I never thought of cream, I always butter my pasta before I add my pesto, but I like the idea of some cream...I would think it would smooth out the flavor from being so pungent to silky...Thans Alix:)
kadesma

Wow! Thank you everyone! It looks like I have several recipes to try, which is great, because I have a ton of basil to try it on. :cool: I also have some parsley growing as well.

Thank you again!

Another consideration for all the pesto you are going to make.

When I have a lot of pesto, as I will later this summer, I like to take the extra pesto that we are not eating at the time and spread it into ice cube trays and freeze. I take the pesto cubes and place them in a large zip lock bag to use during the winter when fresh basil is hard to find.

I also do this when I make stock.

bryan

Constance said:
What do you call it when you leave out the nuts? Basil dressing?
I don't use nuts in mine...we like it better without.

lol Constance - it's just pesto your way - maybe you are putting too many nuts in? I have done that before and the feeling I get when I eat it is "dry" - sometimes when I eat walnuts I get the same "dry" feeling.

But it's still pesto in my book - when I do ONLY basil, olive oil, kosher salt, and garlic THAT is closer to just a basil dressing! lol Dang, it's good on so many things - slathered on each side of ciatatta to make a panino with water-packed mozzarella, fresh roasted red pepper, prosciutto, kalamata olives, spring mix - yum!!!

Ooh, I like that basil orange pesto. I have some mint plants that are going like gangbusters, too. :chef:

Thank you all for the recipes!

Pesto is quite simple to make if you use a food processor rather than the traditional mortar and pestle.

For one serving, take the fp bowl to the garden and stuff with leaves. Avoid the stems, they are quite bitter. You may wish to wash the leaves after you get back to the kitchen

Add a medium handfull of pine nuts, a three finger pinch of Kosher salt and one or two cloves of garlic.

Process until a coarse paste.

Process again and pour EVOO in a stream until just slightly past the desired consistency.

Add a medium handfull of P. Reg. and pulse just to mix.

If the sauce is still a little tight you can either add a tiny bit more oil or as I prefer, loosen it with a tablespoon or so of the pasta water.

Happy cooking

Last edited:
Andy M. said:
Pesto

1/4 C Pine Nuts
2 Garlic Cloves
1/2 C Olive Oil
Parmesan Cheese
Salt

Andy M's recipe is similar to the one that I use. I love the simplicity of a recipe like this. It is amazing that a recipe with so few ingredients can taste so good. :)

Consul said:
I have some mint plants that are going like gangbusters, too. :chef:

Consul, mint does that. And it spreads just like crabgrass, by sending out underground runners. If you are growing it in your garden, it's best planted in a large deep pot with the bottom cut out to keep it from taking over.

Last night I rubbed down some chicken breasts, thighs and potato quarters with my basil pesto, gave them a good shot of restaurant grind black pepper, and roasted, uncovered, in the oven at 375 for one hour. It was yummy!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom