Salsa

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

goodgiver

Senior Cook
HELP HELP HELP I am making some Salsa with tomatoes, onions, celantro, lime juice, S & P and some Japalonias (sp). However I put in the Japalinias (sp) and got to many and when I tasted it I had to call the fire company. HOW CAN I FIX IT, short of making a wagon load of the stuff ?

I don't see anyway to fix it unless you make another recipe of it and leave out the jalapenos. :(

Yikes. Try adding some tomato paste and more tomatoes. You don't have to make a bucketload, but add some and see. Short of that, well, I guess you could melt some velveeta with it and call it nacho cheese dip. That might cut the heat a bit.

Half Baked said:
I don't see anyway to fix it unless you make another recipe of it and leave out the jalapenos. :(

Yup. That's the solution. Adding other ingredients may mask the heat but will also change the flavor of the salsa.

In our house, my husband likes -- and makes -- salsa I consider way too hot. I mix mine with a little olive oil to cushion the flavor & protect my tongue. Doesn't really change the actual flavor that much, but defuses the heat.

I assume this is a raw salsa, like a pico de gallo. Half Baked's solution to increase the other ingredients would be my first choice.

If you can't use that much fresh salsa you could break half of it down in the food processor and freeze in portions to use like a sofrito.

You could add more tomatoes and red bell peppers and simmer to make a cooked salsa sort of like Pace or the stuff made in New York City.:rolleyes:

Thanks ever so much for your speedy reply. I broke it in half and added some olive oil and more tomatoes and it worked well. I will freeze the other haf for something on down the road further. :(

goodgiver said:
HELP HELP HELP I am making some Salsa with tomatoes, onions, celantro, lime juice, S & P and some Japalonias (sp). However I put in the Japalinias (sp) and got to many and when I tasted it I had to call the fire company. HOW CAN I FIX IT, short of making a wagon load of the stuff ?

The next time, you have to taste the jalapeño before tossing it in your salsa. Yes, I know, tasting a hot pepper is traumatic:w00t2: but it's the only way to know exactly how hot it really is. Take a little tiny slice from the middle of the pepper; that's a good indicator of the overall heat.

Tests have proven that the best thing for dissipating the heat in chile peppers is milk, or some form of milk product. Since you've already got lime juice in there, I wouldn't recommend adding milk as it will curdle.

Jan's right - you can't fix it. If it really is too hot for you, I'd just throw it out and start again. How much did it make? Unless you made 1 kilo, I'd chuck it.

Back
Top Bottom