Simple Delicious Italian Sauce

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sicilian

Assistant Cook
6 lb's fresh tomatoe's
5 garlic cloves
1 onion
4-5 bay leafs
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper or red pepper (if you liek extra zaz)
1/4 cup oil
1/2 tsp oregano
1/2 tsp basil
1 tsp parsley or 2-4 fresh parsley leaves

Boil/shock fresh tomatoe's(after boiling, for 45-50 second's put it in frigid cold water), remove skin's, cut open, remove as many, to all of the seeds, mash in a collinder. Put in food processor, and grind up, blender work's good, or just leave them whole tomoatoe's. Witch ever you do, take a spoon, and stir it up, removing any excess liquid/seeds, for a thicker sauce. Put oil/onion's/garlic, let simmer for a few minute's, add tomatoe's, and seasoning's, let simmer for 2-3 hours. Than, put it in fridge, and wait til the next day, re-heat up, and it will be delicious. Day old sauce = best sauce. It has tme to soak up all the flavor.

Chicago, that sounds like a great basic sauce. I have Roma tomatoes in the freezer that I put through the Juicer/strainer on my Kitchen Aid last summer. This would be a perfect way to use them. I like the idea of letting the flavors meld 24 hours before using the sauce. As you say, it's always better the next day anyway.

I'd love any other good Sicilian recipes you might have. Italian cuisine is my favorite.

Very nice Chicago Sicilian, quite similar to one of my TNT tomato sauce recipes too. I sometimes add a little carrot and celery as well, they lend a lovely hint of sweetness to the sauce. Thanks for sharing your lovely recipe with us :)

Back
Top Bottom