Spaghetti Sauce Mix

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

letscook

Head Chef
I have come across Spegetti Sauce Mix, which is a seasoning pkg that you add to can or fresh tomatoes or even can tomato sauce. The brand I saw was McCormicks and Lawerys. I have never heard of it and was just curious if anyone has ever used it and what were their thoughts. I always make my own.

Last edited by a moderator:
These two brands have had the product out for years here in Canada. I have never tried it (and never will), but there must be a market for it because they still produce it.

These two brands have had the product out for years here in Canada. I have never tried it (and never will), but there must be a market for it because they still produce it.

maybe it's the excess spillage from the prefab "Italian Seasoning" line, cleverly re-marketed.

Being 50% Italian, I have to agree with Tatt on this ... I cannot imagine a packet for my pasta sauce ...

It is so simple to prepare a real heaven scent divine fresh tomato sauce ...

See Pasta Section with numerous recipes from uncountable members.

Have lovely summer,
Margi.

The packets were what my mom used to make spaghetti sauce when I was a kid. I actually liked it. Sure wouldn't use it now, though.

The packets were what my mom used to make spaghetti sauce when I was a kid. I actually liked it. Sure wouldn't use it now, though.

Know what you mean, Dawg. I used to love the Chef Boy-R-Dee (sp) pizza kits. I tried one a couple years back, just for a taste of my youth. Those things are terrible. What was I thinking!:LOL:

But yes, I agree with the others. The sauce mixes are what you use when you don't know anything about seasonings. They make something you can put over cooked pasta. I'm just not sure what that something is.:ROFLMAO: It's certainly not a great marinara.

Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

image-1492578245.jpg

Ok...here's the deal. When I have time to make the sauce myself I cut all if the veggies and make a wonderful sauce. Sometimes the men are left to fend for themselves in this house, and they do not cook much. They add this seasoning to tomato paste, tomato sauce, cocoa, sugar, etc. and really feel like they are cooking. It actually turns out pretty good. It does have lots of salt, so I buy the no salt added paste and sauce. Works for this house.

I have also given this as a gift for weddings with pans and things to go with.

Last edited:
Chopper, you beat me to it. I was just going to say that Sam's sells it.
P.S. If you look on the back of the container, there is plenty of sodium in there. Unless it spesifically says No Salt, there is always Salt.

Last edited:
CharlieD said:
Chopper, you beat me to it. I was just going to say that Sam's sells it.
P.S. If you look on the back of the container, there is plenty of sodium in there. Unless it spesifically says No Salt, there is always Salt.

I didn't mean that the spicy spaghetti seasoning was no or low salt. The tomato sauce and tomato paste I have are no added salt. The pictured seasoning jas a ton of salt. And...yes, it is from Sam's.

I have come across Spegetti Sauce Mix, which is a seasoning pkg that you add to can or fresh tomatoes or even can tomato sauce. The brand I saw was McCormicks and Lawerys. I have never heard of it and was just curious if anyone has ever used it and what were their thoughts. I always make my own.

I've seen them. They're a convenience product, intended for people who want an option between purchasing ready to heat spaghetti sauce and cooking your own from scratch. Inexperienced cooks might like them too.

Myself, I either make my own from scratch or when I'm lazy, tired or in a hurry I buy Prego.

I didn't mean that the spicy spaghetti seasoning was no or low salt. The tomato sauce and tomato paste I have are no added salt. The pictured seasoning jas a ton of salt. And...yes, it is from Sam's.

12a.gif
12a.gif
12a.gif

When I was a teen I use to use many of the seasonings, plus all dried herbs, canned broth. Then I had dinner at my DH's home and it was so good. I made it my business to learn from his mom as did my mother Life became full of new taste sensations. What a difference a day makes Right?
No more packaged sauce mixes, or not so many dried herbs or canned broth's Home made gets it. I don't find anything wrong with any of these things, except the salt and If you have small children and work outside the home my best to you, you are admired for all you've taken on.
kades

I had four children, a wife with chronic pain, and worked outside the home, after I fought my way through four years of university, and I still cooked wholesome meals with fresh ingredients. But then, for the most part, that's the way we ate at my Mom's house. I learned some good cooking habits from my Dad's hose, but that's where I learned to enjoy all of those not so good for you foods like cold hot dogs, pizza kits, spaghetti kits, instant potatoes, potted meat, etc, etc. He was a bachelor, after all. My grandparents cooked from fresh food as well.

It can be done. Parents made wholesome meals for their families on wood stoves, while they had to work the farm from sunup until dark. It all depends on how much we want it. Evidently, I wanted it bad enough. My wife and kids deserved the best that I could give them. That's just the way I think. And besides, with my love for veggies, and properly cooked meats, including all things desert, what choice did I have?:LOL:

My butcher has Italian seasoning under his name. Cabinet space being in short supply, I decided to try it. I was so surprised at how aromatic it is. Oregano, thyme, rosemary, basil and marjoram. After almost six month, when I open it, the aroma is still strong. In fact, it is so strong, I only use a teaspoon of it at a time. I use it on meat as well as pasta dishes. Leafy salads get a dash also along with potato salad. It saves space in my cabinet. One container instead of five separate ones. And less hunting. I never put anything back where I got it from. But no way would I use a packet of pasta sauce mix. Way too much salt. I would rather have plain pasta with just butter. :yum:

My butcher has Italian seasoning under his name. Cabinet space being in short supply, I decided to try it. I was so surprised at how aromatic it is. Oregano, thyme, rosemary, basil and marjoram. After almost six month, when I open it, the aroma is still strong. In fact, it is so strong, I only use a teaspoon of it at a time. I use it on meat as well as pasta dishes. Leafy salads get a dash also along with potato salad. It saves space in my cabinet. One container instead of five separate ones. And less hunting. I never put anything back where I got it from. But no way would I use a packet of pasta sauce mix. Way too much salt. I would rather have plain pasta with just butter. :yum:
Me too, to the butter and pasta. It's so good I let the butter brown and dump in the cooked pasta and some salt and I'm in heaven,
kades

I had four children, a wife with chronic pain, and worked outside the home, after I fought my way through four years of university, and I still cooked wholesome meals with fresh ingredients. But then, for the most part, that's the way we ate at my Mom's house. I learned some good cooking habits from my Dad's hose, but that's where I learned to enjoy all of those not so good for you foods like cold hot dogs, pizza kits, spaghetti kits, instant potatoes, potted meat, etc, etc. He was a bachelor, after all. My grandparents cooked from fresh food as well.

It can be done. Parents made wholesome meals for their families on wood stoves, while they had to work the farm from sunup until dark. It all depends on how much we want it. Evidently, I wanted it bad enough. My wife and kids deserved the best that I could give them. That's just the way I think. And besides, with my love for veggies, and properly cooked meats, including all things desert, what choice did I have?:LOL:

Both sets of grandparents grew a yard full of veggies and used all of them in many great things. My parents were would have liked to as well, dad was sick for almost 2 years, ulcers, just milk to drink, mom had two small girls, and a full time job so money was scarce for us. I know both my grand mothers use to give my mom a bad time about the food she made for us and I think this caused the way we ate to be born . NOT SO GOOD. My mom could if need be but thatnks to my dad being nose in the air about taking things from others well. I think you know what that caused. I know he wanted the very best for us but thatks to both gramma's well life went on.
kades

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom