Spaghetti sauce seperation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

marshmellow

Assistant Cook
Hi everyone,
I was wondering if anyone could help me with a problem I have encountered. Why has my speg. sauce seperated? It will cook down nice and thick but as soon as I put it on the pasta noodles it became real runny. It doesn't happen every time either. Can anyone think of why this is happening. Thanks in advance!!

Hi marshmellow,
i've never experienced that problem myself, but hopefully someone who has will be able to help out...my first thought was too much oil in the recipe??
you probably already have your favorite spaghetti recipe, but here is one of my favorites, which has never separated on me.

Thanx Carnivore, Marshmellow, Do you rinse your pasta? I'm guessing you are, in which case it's probably the moisture from that is what is "breaking" your sauce. Unrinsed pasta retains it's starch, and thus absorbs the liquid. Try NOT rinsing the spaghetti! Let us know! Atomic Jed!

Hi there,
Thanks for the reply. This is what has me baffled: Cooked pasta with oil in the water/ cooked pasta without oil in the water, rinsed pasta/ didn't rinse pasta, served pasta steaming hot/ served pasta reheated, served pasta plain with sauce on side/ served pasta and sauce already mixed???? It can happen at any time I have found no pattern to what I may be doing. So as you can see I have already tried to figure this thing out on my own with no answers. Can you understand my frustrations??

Yes Marshmellow, it is perplexing! I don't add oil, or rinse the pasta, as I believe the oil prohibits the sauce from being absorbed. Good Luck! I've torn some of my hair out too! Atomic Jed!

The great pasta debate!!! LOL

Atomic Jed is right on target. It was the water coming off the pasta that was watering down your plate.

Here are the facts:

DON'T put oil in the water. (or butter)

DO salt the water

DO bring your water to a rolling boil before adding pasta and keep at a rolling boil while cooking your pasta. This requires a pot much larger than the pasta holds. It is the rolling boiling water that keeps your pasta from sticking.

DO stir your pasta immediately after it is incorporated into the water if using long noodles or immediately, several times, when using other pasta shapes. This is the time when it can become gluey and literally start cooking together binding with the other noodles thereby becoming "one". Stir several times in the beginning to prevent this from happening.

DON'T rinse your pasta when used with spaghetti sauce, alfredo, marinara, etc. To keep your pasta from sticking together mix a little of the sauce into the pasta in a large bowl until ready to use. DO rinse your pasta when using it cold - as in macaroni salad. (I'll explain later). The best thing to do is to have your pasta ready at the time you will need it.

IF by chance you forget and rinse your pasta be sure and wait until your pasta drains fully - and that doesn't happen in just 5 minutes.

I do rinse my pasta when making a cold pasta salad that. If I don't rinse it then it requires about double the amount of dressing, which is frustrating when you are ready to serve it and it has all soaked into the pasta! LOL

Right On Kitchenelf! You nailed it! Have you ever heard this one; "don't add salt to the water until it's boiling"? (the salt acts as an abrasive) and will scar the pot? :roll: LOL! Atomic Jed!

Yep A.J., I have heard that one. It is especially true for the high shine pots. But it still does a number on the hard anodized calphalon too!

Don't hit me Kithenelf! Have you seen it or done it! (curious smiles!) Seriously though, my stainless steel pan has been in far worse battles, with ME at the Helm! LOL! Atomic Jed!

:oops:

Well, the pot I always cook pasta in is turning a silver color. I always put salt in the water right when I fill the pot because I will forget if I don't.

Elf, Is that cooking vessel you are utilizing a non reactive metal? i.e. stainless steel? Please don't tell me it's aluminum. Wow , I learned what "reactive" meant just after I boiled some eggs in my brand new aluminum pot. Whoa! it turned Black! (oxides) scrubbed it 'till my fangers fell off, to no avail! Yikes! Lesson learned! (that was some years ago) Anyhoo, I've studied metalurgy since I was a yung'un, Please tell me the molecular composition of yer pot is! (just for grins, and the sake of our food research. Post us a hungarian goulash recipe, please!) To all, share grins, knowledge, experiences, and maybe be sometimes, some goofy humor, to maybe make US or someone who needs it Bust out laughing! We're the best! Atomic Jed!

Hi A.J.,

My pots and pans are a hard anodized aluminum, which is different that "our mother's" aluminum 8) It's not made out of the same thing that makes us forget.......I don't think anyway :P

WOW! Elf! Yer faster than Quick Draw McGraw!!! I have to contemplate a response that could maybe, nearly equal ya! LOL! Yer Good! Atomic Jed! said!

marshmellow,

Is the sauce actually separating or is just getting thinner from the water clinging to the noodles?

If it is separating (clumpy solids floating in a watery sauce) it is relating to the ingredients in your sauce. What is in your sauce? Cheese? Milk? Cream?

Back
Top Bottom