Starchy Cream Sauce

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ChefMeryl

Assistant Cook
Hi all,

I need some help with a cream sauce I made for broccoli. It is a roux / bechamel type, flour, butter and milk. the problem is it was starchy. Actually I have never been lucky with bechamels....

I think it would help if someone could help me understant what removes the starchy taste. Some recipes say to cook the roux, others cook the white sauce. And another question I have is how the starch can thicken but not provide starch flavor (if its there to thicken, won't it be there to give starch flavor?) once its cooked correctly?

Kind regards,

Meryl

Regarding the roux, you're not going to really cook it that long because for a bechamel, it's supposed to be a blonde roux. If you darken the roux through cooking, the bechamel will get darker as well. However, that's fine if that is what you're looking for. You'll just get a nuttier flavor.

As for cooking the sauce, once you add the milk, bring it to a boil, and then reduce it to a simmer, you need to cook the bechamel for at least 20 minutes. If it still tastes a bit starchy, then try cooking it for a little longer (about 5-10 minutes). If it still tastes starchy, then try adding seasonings to try and mask that flavor. It could be that you used too much roux for the amount of milk you added.

Also, when I combine the fat and the flour to make the roux I cook it on med-low to med for about 3-4 minutes - this helps remove some of the starchy/floury flavor also. Once cooked for 3-4 minutes then add milk whisking in slowly and whisking constantly.

For an extra rich bechemel, use half'n half, or cream instead of milk. The richer flavor will help disguise the flour taste. Also, the right amount of salt is essential. Add a little at a time, then stir and taste until you get it just right.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

I guess it would help if I knew what was causing the starch flavor. I just assumed it was the starch in the flour but is it something else like proteins or something else?

Meryl

Saw one of the iron chefs use butter milk for the cream portion the other day. I think it was Morimoto.

When I was in college, I was taught to make Bechamel with a whole yellow onion in it. Cut a slit in the onion, and insert a whole bay leave into that slit. Stick some whole cloves, point first, into the onion, Place that onion in the milk and let it soak overnight. When you make your roux, add the milk, and the onion. Bring it to a boil, whisking constantly. Reduce to a simmer and cook until the starchy taste is gone.

Back
Top Bottom