Tell us about your Favorite Tomato Sauce

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

-DEADLY SUSHI-

Washing Up
How would you describe your favorite tomato sauce?
The sauce would be for pasta. And its a red sauce.
Is it tangy? Cheesy? Sweet? Hint of Basil? Meat sauce? Would it have fennel? Or rosemary? neck bones? sausage? Is it spicy?

Well you get the idea! :chef: Tell us about your BEST idea for a red sauce for pasta (any noodle). Im very interested to hear what everyone says!

My sugo pomodoro (tomato sauce) doesn’t have any fixed amount of ingredients, however this is what I use basically... very useful for various recipes, I usually make some extra and keep it in the freezer...

Onion, chopped
Carrot, chopped
Garlic, minced
(sauté these first)
Red wine
Bay leaf
(add these when the onion etc. are well sautéed, then let the wine get absorbed)
Tomatoes (if they are in season I like to use the fresh, ripe red tomatoes, but also the one from tins suffice just as well)
Basil (if I am using dried ones), Oregano, majoram, black pepper, salt
Cook for some 20-30 minutes
Add tomato sauce or puree, if you like your sauce thicker more of this and less tomatoes above, you may add some paste for this effect.
Cook to desired concistency.
If I use fresh basil leaves instead of dry, I add the chopped leaves at the end of the cooking.

Tomatoes
Dried Oregano
Fresh Basil
Ev-oo
Red wine vinegar
Garlic

Cooked long and slow with the vinegar, basil and extra-virgin olive oil being added right at the very end.

I love a sauce with sausage and fennel (naturally sweet), but I've also gotten into making putanesca which packs a punch...red pepper, briny olives, panceta, and anchovies, along with fresh basil and hand crushed tomatoes. But also really love a caciatore with chicken, rosemary and saffron, onions and peppers. all so good.

I think the best sauce I've made to date is from Roma tomatoes that I roasted in the oven along with whole bulbs of garlic, olive oil, onions, S&P and oregano, then ran through a food mill 3 times to get all the goody out. I added sliced black olives, mushrooms, and browned and crumbled sweet Italian sausage and ground chuck, simmered, then added to my cooked pasta to let the flavors mix.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom