Thai Style Sauce

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kfarrell

Assistant Cook
Here's something I've been working on, pour it over a fried piece of fish, I like it with salmon.

It's not exactly where I want it yet, seems a little to sour, but I don't want to add sugar. Would palm sugar help this dish? Any recomendations would be welcome.

Please try it, it's quite a nice sauce and compliments fish nicely, especially white fish. But like I saide, on a thick salmos steak it's delicious.

This is my first time writing a recipe so be kind :cool:

Thai Style Sauce

Juice of 4 limes
1/4 Cup Water
1 cm Grated Ginger
[edited] 1 Cup chopped Corriander Leaves
1 Chili Finely Chopped, seeds removed
1 teaspoon cornflour
1 tbsp extra water

Add lime juice and water to a pot on low to medium heat
Add Ginger, Chili, Corriander and bring to a gentle simmer slowly.
Season with salt and pepper as required. Beware, chili adds spice to this sauce, so not much pepper is required.

Mix cornflour and extra water in a container, mix well and add to pot.
Mix vigourously until thick.

Pour over a seared fillet of fish.

Last edited:
A delicious new idea, especially for a grilled fish!! Do you mean coriander seeds, or coriander leaves here?

kfarrell said:
It's not exactly where I want it yet, seems a little to sour, but I don't want to add sugar. Would palm sugar help this dish? Any recomendations would be welcome.

With its creamy, caramel-like sweetness, palm sugar would probably work just fine, and would be an authentic addition as well. Another thing you could try is replacing the water with sweetened coconut milk. However, before adding sugar of any type, I might try Thai basil, or even finely minced carrots. All of these sweeten, and none would be out of place in a Thai dish.

Your recipe sounds delicious.

Kelly

Coconut milk would be a good idea. Even if it is not sweetened (I would prefer unsweetened myself...), the mild flavour of coconut will take the edge off the tartness of lime. Maybe reduce the amount of juice and add finely grated rinds will add the lime flavour without increasing the tartness, too. It will also enhance the colour.

Many Vietnamese recipes call for a carmel-type syrup made from sugar and water, cooked till light brown. Like simple syrup but with a deeper flavor. Palm sugar will also work but the above is made simply with white sugar. It's about a 4 parts to 1 sugar to water ratio, as I recall (but I am not 100% sure).

I would use a bit of that and definitely some fish sauce or soy sauce. What you are lacking, seems to me, is umami, which you'll get from a fermented product.

urmaniac13 said:
A delicious new idea, especially for a grilled fish!! Do you mean coriander seeds, or coriander leaves here?

Oh Leaves sorry

urmaniac13 said:
Coconut milk would be a good idea. Even if it is not sweetened (I would prefer unsweetened myself...), the mild flavour of coconut will take the edge off the tartness of lime.

Great idea, I just wonder if it would turn my clear sauce into a creamy sauce though?

jennyema said:
Many Vietnamese recipes call for a carmel-type syrup made from sugar and water, cooked till light brown.

Just reduce the water till it caramelizes on a pot?

KellyM said:
I might try Thai basil, or even finely minced carrots.

Mince carrots? hmm that sounds interesting, what is your suggestion to mince them?

Basil is my favorite herb, I just love it's aroma. What are the differences between Basil and Thai Basil?

I just worry that I would need loads of it to remove the tartness. But in saying that, I don't mind the tartness anyway. So maybe the mix of corriander and Thai basil might work just to tame it a little.

urmaniac13 said:
Maybe reduce the amount of juice and add finely grated rinds will add the lime flavour

Yeah I thought of that, Lime zezt is amazing and would give richness. But I would loose fluid, which I need as the cornflour thickens what fluid is there. Maybe I could add some as well as the juice, it wont get rid of the tartness, but would add a nice flavour. Thanks

and definitely some fish sauce or soy sauce. What you are lacking, seems to me, is umami, which you'll get from a fermented product.

I had to look that term up :LOL:

What about if I add dried shitake mushrooms, but took them out before thickening? Or is that a no no :)

I was avoiding soy and fish, not for any reason though, just thought it wouldn't add to the taste at the time. I thought of oyster sauce too.

Would it be worth adding fish sauce since you are eating it with fish? A bit of a noob question I guess. :cool:

kfarrell said:
Basil is my favorite herb, I just love it's aroma. What are the differences between Basil and Thai Basil?

Thai Basil to me has more citrus-type tones and has less of that grassy flavor that regular basil can sometimes have.

Another thing that you can add to give sweetness would be mirin, a sweetened Japanese cooking liquid made from a by-product of rice wine. It has no alcohol in it though, and you should be able to find it at any market that sells Asian foods.

If you really want this to be a asian-style sauce, you need to use the right ingredients/techniques. You have a good beginning but IMO need to add the things that are traditional to asian food if you want an authentic taste.

Both Thai and Vietnamese recipes often use the sugar/water syrup that I mentioned. Vietnamese recipes generally call for the syrup to be cooked until well carmelized, but Thai recipes usually don't.

Try putting 1/4 cup water into a pot and bring it to a boil. Then carefully add 1/2 cup sugar, turnj the heat down, and stir to combine thoroughly. If you take it off the heat right away, you have simple syrup. But if you leave it on the heat for a minute (maybe less) still stirring, it will start to brown. Once you see it brown a bit, take it off the heat and let it cool.

A teaspoon would add both sweetness and depth of flavor.

If you have an asian grocery store around, Kaffir lime leaves and lemongrass simmered in the sauce would also add wonderful flavor.

Asians are not big users of straight salt. They add seasoning generally with sauces like soy sauce, fish sauce, kojujang (Korean hot bean paste), etc. These add both saltiness and umami (savoryness). I can't imagine a Thai-style sauce withought some fish sauce added, as fish sauce is the very essence of Thai cookery. Fish sauce or Soy sauce shouldn't be avoided in asian-style recipes -- they not only add to the flavor, they are really the very basic building block of their flavor.

Oyster sauce would be ok, but would take your sauce in another direction, in that it would be a dominant flavor, whereas fish sauce or soy sauce would be a background one.

Shitake mushrooms? YUM. But why take them out of the sauce? Shitake mushrooms and fish are wonderful together.

Mirin would also be a nice addition, with a subtle sweetness. I am under the impression, though, that it is a type of rice wine and does have alcohol in it, though the type you find at the asian market for cooking has only a small amount.

Coconut milk is a very traditional Thai ingredioent that would add wonderful flavor and body to your sauce. But again, it would become the dominant flavor, which is great if you want it to be, but probably not a good idea if you don't want to make a coconut sauce. It comes in pretty big cans, so adding a tiny amount isn't that practical. It will make your sauce creamy-looking.

The key, IMO, is to obtain some of these ingredients and experiment with them until you have a sauce that has the taste and texture that you are looking for.

GOOD LUCK

Last edited:
jennyema said:
Mirin would also be a nice addition, with a subtle sweetness. I am under the impression, though, that it is a type of rice wine and does have alcohol in it, though the type you find at the asian market for cooking has only a small amount.

Depends on which brand you buy. Kikkoman "Kotterin" Mirin and Shirakiku, which are the two brands most commonly found in mainstream stores are alcohol free. Kikkoman also has an "Aji Mirin" which has alcohol but you'll usually only find that at a store that specifically sells Japanese products.

ironchef said:
Depends on which brand you buy. Kikkoman "Kotterin" Mirin and Shirakiku, which are the two brands most commonly found in mainstream stores are alcohol free. Kikkoman also has an "Aji Mirin" which has alcohol but you'll usually only find that at a store that specifically sells Japanese products.

I've never looked for it in a regular supermarket since I am at the asian store all the time. But I will pay closer attention the next time I'm there. Aji mirin has corn syrup in it most of the time (and salt too) so I try to find the unadulterated stuff, which usually has 10% or so alcohol.

I make a glaze for fish with mirin and miso and some of that sugar syrup which is really nice.

Don't forget Thai cooking is about flavour extremes, typically lots of Thai dishes have highly salty, sweet and citris flavours in the same dish. Principally palm sugar, lime juice and Fish sauce are the holy trinity of Thai sauces. Plus palm sugar has the added advantage that due to the types of starches in it will thicken the sauce removing the need for the Cornflour.

It seems you are aiming for the light citrus and aromatic flavours and steering away from the savoury salty flavours which tend to get over used in home versions of Thai cooking.

The problem with the sauce as it is, is that you are using the juice of 4 Limes to achive this which although you get a nice citrus sauce it also ends up overly sharp.

My advice to you would be swap the cornflour for some palm sugar, which will sweeten and thicken the sauce.

Ease up on the lime juice and added some Fish sauce, these two togther counterpoint each other flavours on the palette and add some depth to it. If you still want a really strong lime flavour add a tbsp of lime zest

I would swap the Ginger for Galengal (avalible for a Thai Groccer) which if you are not familar with is partly simailar to ginger but has a more sutble spice and a gentle citrus tones. Ginger commonly overshadows the subtle aromatics used in Thai and is more suited to chinese and Indian cooking

Lastly but entirely optional is to experiment with schezwan pepper corns (not stricktly Thai), which are midly spicy and citrus flavored. Plus they go expentinally well with fish. If you do decide to try Schezwan swap the Corriander leaves for Thai basil as these two flavaors where made to go together.

Edit:spelling error

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom