TNT Enchilada sauce recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bethzaring

Master Chef
Here is an enchilada sauce I have made for decades, got it from my sister who lives in Northern New Mexico. It is very quick and easy to make. I will first give recipe as stated:

3 T. olive oil
3 T. butter
4 T. corn flour

Blend oil and butter in med sauce pan over low heat. Stir in flour.

Add:

2 1/2 cups tomato sauce
1 1/2 cups water
1 small onion, chopped
1 T. cumin
1 t. coriander
1 t. cinnamon
2 T. chili powder
1 T. honey or syrup

Blend thoroughly and remove from heat. That's it, it is ready to use.

I can my own thick tomato juice and substitute one quart of thick tomato juice for the tomato sauce and water. I also substitute whole wheat flour for the corn flour in the roux.

I usually use this sauce in a vegetarian enchilada casserole. To make my recipe you will need the sauce as indicated above, 1 can refried beans, up to one pound cubed sharp cheddar cheese, 2 cups chopped onions and corn tortillas.
Spread 1/2 cup sauce in the bottom of a greased 9x13 inch baking dish. Layer with corn tortillas, add 1 cup chopped onions, half the cheese, dot with half the can of refried beans, and 1/3 of the sauce. Layer more tortillas, rest of cheese, onions, refried beans and 1/3 sauce. Finally cover with more tortillas and the rest of the sauce. Bake at 350 degrees F for about 40 minutes or until hot and bubbly. These are a stacked tortilla dish, not a rolled enchilada. You can add heat to this dish by using a hot chili powder. I usually use 1 T. med chili powder and 1 T. hot chili powder. This is a very filling and delicious meal.

I've got a recipe from a tex-mex restaurant owner (sorry, can't share) that is very good, but you make gallons at a time and its high in fat--lots of lard. Whenever I make a quickie batch, similar to yours but with more chili powder, it always comes out a bit chalky.

Hows the texture when you cook this?

beth, your recipe looks very good. Here's another one you might like to try (way easy) that Barbarainnc posted earlier in the year:

In a skillet put 2 T oil, 2 T flour, 1 T chili powder, a little black pepper and garlic powder. Let cook like a roux a few minutes to cook the flour. Slowly whisk in 1 cup of chicken broth. Cut down the heat and let it thicken. This was enough to cover 12 enchiladas.

Honestly, being of spanish origin... The cinamon and the honey or syrup, has me a liitle curious. These kind of ingredaints gives it a mole effect combining the sweet with the spicy. MAKING it authentic. Using chocolate or peanut butter might also work for this dish.
I prefer the original... plain and simply simple.

Mudbug... my hat is off to you. YOU HAVE THE BEST RECIPE EVER INVENTED FOR ENCHILADA SAUCE. This recipe is a for sure thing. If anyone ever struggled before... Look no more! This is the oldest way. My great grandmother passeed it on from her greatgrandmother. It originates from old Mexico. Though I do not use garlic... I might try it, to see the difference. In adding: Knorr puts out a tomato based chicken cube. (excellent)

Homemade enchilada sauce

You won`t believe it, I came on the website just for this reason looking for
a homemade enchilada sauce. you have made my day. My son doesn`t know
it but he is going to be eating your recipe for dinner tonight. thanks so much
for posting your recipe.

Quizzie said:
Mudbug... my hat is off to you. YOU HAVE THE BEST RECIPE EVER INVENTED FOR ENCHILADA SAUCE. This recipe is a for sure thing. If anyone ever struggled before... Look no more! This is the oldest way. My great grandmother passeed it on from her greatgrandmother. It originates from old Mexico. Though I do not use garlic... I might try it, to see the difference. In adding: Knorr puts out a tomato based chicken cube. (excellent)

Quizzie, as much as I would like to take credit for pleasing you, another member contributed the recipe I repeated above (barbarainnc). I can attest to its goodness and ease of manufacturing, and I'm glad to hear it has a long history. Next time I make enchiladas I will try your twist of using a Knorr cube. Their products have not disappointed me so far!

Bigjim how was your enchilada dinner? I hope your son enjoyed it. Let me know how it went. Chicken is also good,as well as beef. Although I prefer my chicken enchiladas with a Creamy spicy white sauce. Red sauce enchildas are good.

Mudbug you will not be disappointed. Knorr is an excelolent source of stock and salt.

tnt enchilada sauce

oh we really enjoyed that sauce. my son thats a keeper. I was burned out
on chicken while I was a boy. so I don`t care for chicken that much but the
rest of the family dearly loves it. My sons all three are great lovers of their
mothers green enchiladas, she is mexican and her mother taught her. Im prefer the red. thank you very much for your recipe. I will surely be making it
again and again. thank you.....

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom